Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Coyote Hunting

Coyote Hunting Canis latrans. Ky'ote. Ky'otee. Whatever you want to call it, it's one of the most popular predators hunted in the world today.

Old 01-09-2020, 02:15 PM

Default Opinions

Last weekend I started off a stand with a series of 3-4 lone howls. A couple minutes later I had a pair of coyotes answer me back. I shut up and went on full alert half expecting them to come jogging in. After about 5-7 minutes nothing showed. I then went into a “Female coyote whimpers” for a few minutes and again nothing showed. I ended up sitting on stand for about 40 minutes and nothing ever did show. Could I have done something different to get these dogs to come in? What’s the best option when you have coyotes answer your howls?
Old 01-09-2020, 02:49 PM

Here is an option that has worked for me in the past. I also noticed that others use this same sequence on their stands. Randy Anderson calls it the three stages of calling. Tony Tebbe has done it as well. Some others who I have forgotten.

STEP1, announce yourself as a new coyote in the area by a couple of LONG HOWLS, three or four or so, similar to what you did. Then incorporate silence into your stand by just being silent for a few minutes, maybe as much as five or six minutes. Whether they answer you or not is irrelevant. Great if they did, but irrelevant. At the end of that period of silence start building your scenario, STEP 2 by killing a rabbit ( one of their rabbits off their dinner table) Jackrabbit distress, Devil Hare, Ms McCottontail, any of those sounds for a few mintues, three or four minutes. They will hate you for that, stealing their food supply like that. Go back to silence after a few minutes of rabbit distress. After this period of silence start STEP 3, I suggest this sound to be TT Den Raid or any sound where somebody is getting their azz kicked by an old male coyote. By now you should be shooting if they are there, or just wait a few minutes of silence and some more of Step 3.

It is my belief and several others, that the coyotes in the area think the new guy is getting whupped up on my one of their pack mates for his act of theft, and they gotta get over there and help finish him off or convince him to never do that again.

This has worked for me on more than one occasion. Good luck, make sure you have great visibility downwind at this point.

Last edited by Sonny Pruitt; 01-09-2020 at 02:52 PM.
Old 01-09-2020, 04:31 PM

Thanks Sonny! That actually makes a lot of sense
Old 01-10-2020, 01:24 PM

I have called in way more coyotes using Male Coyote Challenge 4 sound than by using howl sounds.

If coyotes are challenging me but won't come in I have had good success at times playing a bunch of sounds back to back on full volume trying to make it sound like a huge coyote fight is going on.

In December, January and February at the end of my stands a non stop loud coyote fight for about 2 to 3 minutes has worked quite a few times on bringing in more than one coyote.

Good Foxpro sounds to use are Angry Badger, Den Heist, Coyote Pup Screams, Junk Yard Dog, Den Mayhem and Pup Distress 3.

After a few minutes of silence after the fight sound it is not a bad idea to play Male Coyote Challenge 4 sound on full blast for about 30 seconds just to see if you get challenged back.

No matter what sounds you have used on a stand playing a 30 second Male Challenge sound at the end of your stand can get you some replies back.

I have Male Coyote Challenge 4 sound as my number 4 pre-set sound on volume 40.

Angry Badger, Den Heist, Coyote Pup Screams, Junk Yard Dog, Den Mayhem and Pup Distress 3 sounds I have all together on my Favorites list on volume 40 so it is easier to switch back and forth between these sounds while I am trying to make it sound like a coyote fight.
Old 01-10-2020, 02:03 PM

Thanks Bob! A lot of good information. Looking back on that stand I should have thrown some aggressive fight sounds out there. They didn’t respond with the subtle stuff, so aggressive may have been the ticket.
Old 01-28-2020, 11:55 AM

Just did a set last night that ended n a double.
1.Started with lone howls.
2. Male long howls.
3. Female sub.
4. Went to a rabbit distress sound. (Still nothing)
5. Next went to coyote pup serenade. Finally got a response
6. Then played Den Raid. Thought for sure they would break but they didn't so i went to pup screams. Still nothing.
7. Last ditch effort i went to coyote pair yip howls and got them fired back up. With in 5 minutes they were trotting in.

This stand to 50 minutes to complete but once they howl back i dont like to give up on them. Trying to paint the picture that a female is out looking and male has answered her then they meet up and she submitted to him. Now they've caught a rabbit. Now a group of pups have shown up and a fight breaks out. Finally that adult part is howling and "claiming" that field. Just what i vision in my head idk lol but it works
Old 01-28-2020, 12:01 PM

Good description of your calling sequences; thanks for posting. Took awhile but your persistence paid off. Congratulations
Old 01-28-2020, 06:19 PM

For step 1 do you guys think female howls are more likely to bring coyote in. Was thinking male sounds might sound to aggressive for yearlings or some female.

For step 3 how long do you play pup sounds before a mute. I think I play to long sometimes.