Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Photography > Misc. Pictures

Misc. Pictures Everyone has a digital camera these days! Share pictures of your hunting cabin, favorite hunting spots, hunting rigs, and outdoor adventures.

Old 08-04-2012, 09:46 PM

Default LED Offroad Lights

There has been a lot of discussion about LED hunting lights so after I bought my Gator I decided to try some LED driving lights. I installed a pair of Rigid Industries Dually with a hybrid flood pattern. Initially I thought the headlights of the Gator were OK but found them lacking when trying to find my way home in tall grass and brush.

The headlights of the gator are 35 watts each and the LED's are 15. Each set of photos was taken with it's own set of camera settings so don't compare from one group of three to the other. In all cases I could see better than the photos show so even in areas that appear dimly lit I could easily see well enough to drive. Especially noticeable with the LEDs which I have aimed outward. It appears that there is a gap in the middle but in real life they blend pretty smoothly.

stock headlights

LEDs

both
Old 08-04-2012, 09:47 PM

headlights

LEDs

both
Old 08-04-2012, 09:49 PM

headlights

LEDs

both
Old 08-04-2012, 10:46 PM

Wow, I think the color tone from the bright white LEDs is excellent and a major improvement, not to mention 1/2 the wattage to power them. Nice pics too!
2-SIG 556 Commandos Leopold VX-R 1-4X & Eotech
T/C Contender Custom 1:7" Twist 20" Barrel
Redfield 3-9X50mm
Handloaded 5.56mm OTM Varmit Killin' Ammo
Immunizing your Coyotes won't work.....
Old 08-05-2012, 08:20 AM

From your last set on the trail. Details seen to be better with the head lights at a distance. But close in detail is better with the led's. The last pic with both seem to be about optimum for max detail. Looks like the best of both worlds.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:32 PM

In real life it's better with the LED's at all distances. In the photographs the LED's the way I have them aimed leave a dark area in the center that is not readily noticeable to your eyes. I'd almost have to say that all the headlights do is add a nice warm glow to the center when they are on.

After finally making the plunge last year to high performance LED flashlights you'd think I would know what to expect but I'm really impressed with these things.

Old 08-06-2012, 10:24 AM

More a case of the camera causing the preceived difference then. Looks like they would be a useful upgrade for my 4 wheeler.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:01 AM

The alternator on my Gator only puts out 16amps at max rpm's and 7 amps at idle so something with low power consumption was important.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:16 AM

I have recently swapped out the stock 35 watt headlight bulbs for 300ma LED's daytime running light bulbs. They are nowhere near as bright as the old lamps but I use them around the house or people so I don't blind them so badly.

Here you can see the color and brightness difference.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:22 AM

Next I bought a daytime running light kit that had two 6" long slender housings holding five 1 watt LED's. I put these on the roof facing backwards to illuminate the work area to the rear of the Gator. I had considered using a high powered Rigid Industries flood light but was concerned that so much light coming from one point would be quite blinding when you face it and create a dark, hard shadow when turned away. The two DRL units spread the light out about as well as can be expected. It's still bright when you look at them but it's spread out enough to not be blinding, and provides solid illumination for the rear 180 degrees.

There were no interior lights in the Gator and I wanted some illumination for getting my stuff together before heading out. A couple small red LED strips provide a soft glow just after turning the headlights off and illuminate quite well once your eyes adjust for a few minutes.