Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Photography > Misc. Pictures

Misc. Pictures Everyone has a digital camera these days! Share pictures of your hunting cabin, favorite hunting spots, hunting rigs, and outdoor adventures.

Old 01-31-2015, 02:32 PM

Default New "fur friendly" setup

I thought my .223 would suffice to cover both my coyote and fox needs but I was sadly mistaken. I know everyone has a difference view on the bullet/weight/gun/caliber/ etc etc but I was not happy with the amount of damage with the .223.

I bought a new Ruger M77/17 in .17 hornet and couldn't be happier with it. First 5 minutes with it in the field and I had my first red with it, with very minimal fur damage.

Only problem I encountered with it was that it shipped with the #4 (medium) rings. They did not fit my 50MM vortex crossfire scope but Ruger was fantastic about it and exchanged the factory rings with the rings of my choice for free (#6 Extra High). Its just very cool that they even come with rings period! (side note: anyone getting rings for the M77/17, they are both the same height, unlike most other M77's)

Its a beautiful gun and shoots extremely well. The only change Im looking to make is to lighten up the trigger for my taste. Its breaking at 4.5 lbs from the factory and I like my varmint rifles to be more around 2-2.5.

At the moment its sporting the 3-9x50 Vortex Crossfire II scope with the vbrite illuminated reticle, Sniper Hog 66LR and the Harris 13.5-27 bipod. Very Happy!

100 Yard 3 shot group with Hornady Superformance 20 Grain Vmax

FOXPRO Shockwave
Sniper Hog Lights 50LR & 66LR

There are three types of people in this world: those who make things happen, those who watch things happen and those who wonder what happened…
Old 01-31-2015, 03:02 PM

Nice set up.

SpitfirE, Firest0rm, FurY, FusioN, Sh0ckwavE & CS24C
Old 01-31-2015, 04:03 PM

You should be happy. That is a beautiful setup!
Old 01-31-2015, 10:30 PM

nice set up. I had a 17/204 built that I really like ,shoot 30 grain Woodchuck den golds in it.
Old 01-31-2015, 11:26 PM

Default Yeah but....

Nice. What load are you shooting? Factory or handload? You replaced your 223 with this for both fox and coyote....how has it done with coyote? A few of us here have been on the frustrating search for a 17HH load that will suffice for both fox and coyote....does not appear to be any fur friendly happy medium, which is typical of any cal used for both.

In my experince the 17HH has done some damage.....especially the handloads. Only one had minimal damage and that was factory 20gr at about 160yds.

Nice pics by the way....are you in marketing by any chance?.....; )

Last edited by XNAVYORDIE; 01-31-2015 at 11:35 PM.
Old 01-31-2015, 11:37 PM

Default Say Again?

HA!....if I had read between the pics I would know you were using factory 20gr......silly me...; )

Yes it can be amazingly accurate (trust me those 3 holes can touch @ 100).....I'm just very cautious about taking it where yotes will be a consideration. In that scenario the 223 or 243 gets the nod.
Old 02-01-2015, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XNAVYORDIE View Post
Nice. What load are you shooting? Factory or handload? You replaced your 223 with this for both fox and coyote....how has it done with coyote? A few of us here have been on the frustrating search for a 17HH load that will suffice for both fox and coyote....does not appear to be any fur friendly happy medium, which is typical of any cal used for both.

In my experince the 17HH has done some damage.....especially the handloads. Only one had minimal damage and that was factory 20gr at about 160yds.

Nice pics by the way....are you in marketing by any chance?.....; )

Yeah I agree on the tough choice of guns. Depending on where Im hunting or what Im targeting for that matter, will dictate what I take. We have the fox contests the next few weeks here so Ill be taking the 17 hornet, and if by chance we call in a coyote, well then well see how she does! If Im going to an area where we know there are coyotes, Ill take the 223 instead. I am finding myself much more inclined to grab the hornet though!

I'm shooting factory ammo at the moment, partly because brass prices are simply ridiculous for the 17 hornet. $39.99/50 for brass and $37.38/50 for loaded factory superformance at cabelas. Its just too new of a caliber and honestly most people shooting one, also happen to reload so the brass isn't landing at your doorstep so easily. Once I shoot through some of my newly purchased factory ammo, Ill start working on reloading them.

The accuracy should come with time and rounds down the tube, as well as the planned trigger job. Those 3 shots were after the first 20 or so rounds shot through her. I lapped the rings and re-torqued everything and its shooting well. Lighter trigger will help me a little in squeezing off more consistently.

Oh... for the pictures.. I took the recommendation from my buddy, whose wife is a photographer by trade, to use a white background like a sheet and then on the iPhone, edit it with the exposure all the way up afterwards. It can make even someone like me have good looking pictures!
FOXPRO Shockwave
Sniper Hog Lights 50LR & 66LR

There are three types of people in this world: those who make things happen, those who watch things happen and those who wonder what happened…
Old 02-01-2015, 11:01 AM

Yup the brass can be a pain to get...a few years ago when the 17HH came out I knew I wanted one and started buying the ammunition (started at $19.99/box) while searching for the rifles. The ammo was EVERY WHERE.....the rifles were the hard thing to find. The last couple years it's been the reverse.....rifles are every where and the ammo when found is averaging $27/box.....as for reloading it is not as difficult as I thought. Reloading 22cal bullets was a pain...I thought a 17 would be murder to reload with my clumsy fingers. Its not so bad.....

Have fun...and if you nail a yote let us know the details with pics......17HH yote kills are rare as hens teeth.
Old 02-01-2015, 01:49 PM

Wow that is a very nice night huntin setup.