Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Predator Hunting

Predator Hunting It's open season on predator discussions! Questions, stories, tips, and techniques are all fair game.

Old 11-24-2019, 11:42 AM

Default PHM Big Fox Contest Leg 1

Haven't been on much this season. First time out hunting was this past Friday night. Leg #1 of The Predator Hunters of Maryland Big Fox contest was this weekend. Haven't had a XNAVYORDIE/MD Archer story in awhile so...

Friday night headed out with my Son to a farm we typically do well. Was about to wrap up the stand when eyes finally popped up, and a fox darted out, and then another set of eyes popped up. Rule is I don't shoot until my Son is on the board first....he couldn't get a clear shot on the first fox, and it wandered back into the woods. I muted the call, which got the curiosity of the second set of eyes and they moved to the right...a good thing. I selected Platinum Gray Fox and those eyes came charging down the tree line as if they were going to come out for nice chip shot.....negative. Oh well....we packed up and headed back to the truck. Time to go hook up with Archer.

First farm with Archer was also dedicated for my Son to get on the board. Without seeing a thing we were packing up. Archer gave another sweep of the light and suddenly there are a set of eyes......set back up and we are in business. The eyes turn into a Red charging toward us......I heard the safety click off and BOOM.....fox down. After the fist bumps my Son heads on the fairly long hike to retrieve his fox. He walks too far, and Archer being the great friend/youth mentor that he is heads down to help find it. I'm fortunate for Archer and my Son...I've been putting off knee replacement for a long time and just cant navigate some of the rougher terrain or hills anymore. No in a timely manner anyway. So they tend to get a work out retrieving kills. Archer yells back that they recovered it and back up the hill they start.....

I was scanning as they were searching and heading back. just as they were cresting the hill, I saw what I thought were eyes moving, but hard to tell since they were in front of farm equipment with reflectors. I looked back at Archer and my Son getting closer to try and get a glimpse of the fox size but too far. I scanned to my left and caught movement on a hill. I put the scope on it. Transitioned from headlamp to kill light.....and there stood a yote in my scope. Archer and my Son had no idea I was on something....I heard Archer yell something up to me and the yote looked their way....it's now or never...Boom....yote spin starts.

Archer came up to me and asked what happened. "I just killed a coyote....I think". My knees were jello…..so off went Archer and my Son to search for/retrieve it. A few minutes later I heard Archers conformation...turned out to be a 30lb female....you never n
know when a bunch of reflectors on farm equipment may turn into a yote....

It was a very enjoyable/successful night for Archers Son, Archer, my Son and myself.....but my favorite stand was doubling with my Son on the Red and the yote..."making the memories" as Archer often says...HooYah.

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by XNAVYORDIE; 11-24-2019 at 11:47 AM.
Old 11-24-2019, 08:25 PM
FOXPRO Field Staff

Great to see you have success with your buddy and your son. It doesn't get much better than that. Thanks for posting.
Old 11-24-2019, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possumal View Post
Great to see you have success with your buddy and your son. It doesn't get much better than that. Thanks for posting.
Thanks Al.....I have missed hanging out here and need to catch up...life can be a road block at times.....; )
Old 11-25-2019, 10:37 AM

Enjoyed your post, thank you for sharing, great times, great memories made with family and friends....."Doesn't get any better than that!" Congrats on your success
Old 11-25-2019, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preydeception View Post
Enjoyed your post, thank you for sharing, great times, great memories made with family and friends....."Doesn't get any better than that!" Congrats on your success
Thanks Preydeception…..that's what it's all about in my book!