Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Tips From the Pros

Tips From the Pros Get valuable knowledge from the best in the business! Read enticing articles and ask questions here.

Old 12-14-2013, 08:45 AM
FOXPRO Field Staff

Weasel, one of the most inviting features of this scope is the adjustable green dot, which is vivid bright green, and it doesn't even require battery power. I have been using the Burris Black Diamond 4 x 16 x 50 with the ballistic reticle. It is a great scope, great light pickup power, and simple to use. But it doesn't have that green dot feature and that is a big winner.
Old 12-14-2013, 02:43 PM

Reading about that scope made my heart go pitter patter! Unfortunately it is out of my price range, but I'm optimistic that someday I will have one. The reviews were very good and it sounds like it would be an excellent scope for day or night hunting.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:58 PM

Default Any thoughts on the BSA Gold Star scopes

I have a Savage M 340 in 222 rem that I am working with and was looking for a new scope that would work both at night and during daylight hours for woodchucks. I found the BSA Gold Star 2-12x44, which I think would be the best compromise. I have a BSA Platinum 6-24x44 that so far seems very clear and holding zero very well. Any thoughts on these scopes? Any thoughts on this power combo for day and night hunting? My thought was two scopes, one for night and one high power for picking chucks out of the hay fields. Thank You
Old 01-18-2014, 10:17 PM

I hope to get one of the EOTech EXPS3-4 versions with the magnifier on it as a set (HHS-1 ). Both are quick release type and can be put on the Picatinny rail and taken off quickly if you need to go to iron back up sights.

I also have the Nikon M-223 4x16x42 BDC 600 scope with a RRA single piece scope mount that's easy to take off and put back on with my fingers. Rock River Arms RRA scope mount used big knobs on the screws that hold the scope ring/riser onto the Picatinny rail of the AR15. Although I use a big screw driver to get the knobs even tighter than finger tight to make sure the scope is mounted securely. The Zero doesn't shift when I take the scope rings on and off. I've checked that out at the rifle range twice now so far.

I want the EOTech for close in stuff as some of the land I plan on hunting I can't see very far away as there is a lot of tall grass and brush blocking my view. And it's full of coyotes and other critters. Also full of other hunters as well.

I like the fact that I can use the EOTech Holographic site at night in an up close and personal way on fast moving and close coyotes. I feel safer using that type of sight with a better field of view than having to look though the scope at night with a limited field of view.

I'm pretty sure that I'll use the EOTech at night and perhaps both the EOTech/magnifier thing or the Nikon during the daylight hours. I'm going to have to take them both out in the field and see how they work.

I've already used the Nikon scope a couple times at Night while hunting and hard a hard time seeing though it with the light I was using. But now I have a better brighter more focused light to mount on the scope so I may be able to see better with the scope. I'll see how it works. I really didn't like the way the scope worked the two nights I hunted in the cold. My breath was fogging up the outside of the scope's glass that one night. I forgot to take a optics cleaning soft cloth with me that time. I'll stick one of those in my hunting vest today.

This way if a group of coyotes were to get in close to me I feel like I could have a better chance of hitting them up close and personal.

Both the Nikon/RRA setup and the EOTech HHS-1 will weigh in at a little more than 2 lbs. So either setup will make my rifle scope combination weight about 10 lbs when the sights are mounted on the rail.

The rifle weights in at 7.4 lbs according to the manufactures web site. I weighted it by holding it while on my digital scales and then without the gun on the scales. But the digital scales are not very accurate and vary in their readout with their temperature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusdusty View Post
get an eotech. i can shoot 1-1.5 moa with no magnafication and when those doubles come in its much easier to make sure nobody lives to tell their little friends.

Coyotehunter

Last edited by Coyotehunter; 01-18-2014 at 10:27 PM.
Old 01-19-2014, 08:19 AM

Default Mueller Scopes............

WEll first of all , I completely agree with the above recommendation on scopes as I good friend has the Trijicon they are recomendating. It is a fine scope and at an avg cost of around $ 750 would be a good choice for sure ,
However having sold scopes out of our gunshop for over fourty years now I can tell you that customers buying scopes in that price range are probably less than 5% of our scope sales........................... so with that said if you are really more of the avg buyer say in the 2-300 dollar range then the scope is not practical for most buyers. Down in the other range a scope that sells good for us is the Mueller Scope 4x16x50mm it comes with an illuminated tiny dot in the center of the crosshairs with eleven intensity adjustments , it comes with one of the best reticule options you could ever pick for low light , night hunting in gereral the heavy German #4,with out a doubt one of the best out there, for quick target acquisition, it is probably the equivalent optical; in our testing to say a Leupold VX 1, [its better than a rifleman and not quite as crisp as a VX 2]and it has an adjustable objective, with an awful lot of features found more on $4-700 scopes. And it is less than two hundred bucks.......................... very good value for the money iMho.
We are seeing a lot of folks move into both Vortex and Sightron scopes in the lower end pricing and its for sure that some of the older names are loosing their grip on the market to these two up and coming companys but neither of them have tried to fill this "coyote nite scope nitche" as well as Muller did.
Is a Mueller scope comparable in optic quality to a Trijicon at 4 times the money .......................... of course not. If you got the money just buy the Trijicon! But if 750 is not in your budget , Then the Mueller a heck of a value for a couple hundred dollars ............ yes it is.
http://www.amazon.com/Mueller-Sport-...ler+4x16+scope
We ordered in a Weaver 4-16x50 with the comparable reticule for 50% more money to see how much better it was...................... and sent it back . It was a whisker better 1% ioho, but the customer didn't feel it was worth the extra $100 after he compared it to the Mueller the same nite. I liked the Weaver a lot but like him didn't feel the extra 50% in cost was there ............ $200 vs $300 similar warrantees. Here is the link for the Weaver scope , very nice as well.
http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm...0A4&src=mbProd
Another one we have tried in the past that is also a darn nice scope for the money was the Millet in the same configuration, again nice and I loved the side focus ability but optically it was about a dead heat to the Mueller................ so again we didn't feel it was worth the extra 50% but if the Muellers were not available I would own one of these myself..........
http://www.amazon.com/Millett-4-16x5...ef=pd_sbs_sg_1
And a word of caution on all of these above scopes.................... they are big and they are heavy !!! They are bulky and ackward in the woods compared to a smaller outfit.. I use mine exclusively for hunting at nite with a ND3/50 LaserGenetics ontop of it , but when coyote season is over I slap my little 2-8 Zeiss back onto the 243 for general hunting

Last edited by articwolf; 01-19-2014 at 02:37 PM.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:24 AM

When I bought rifle scopes in the past I went for the less expensive ones. But over the past 50 years since I started using rifle scope on my guns I learned one valuable lesson about rifle scopes. You get what you pay for in general.

Not all rifle scopes are made from quality matierals that last a life time or that won't break. Many of the under $100 scopes won't hold a zero after a few years. The mechanism that hold the reticle in place and allow you to move the two reticles are not built to last on some of the cheaper scopes. They break and you turn the windage knob and the reticle won't move as it's broke.

So when you pay more money for a rifle scope, think about how it's internal parts are made and if they will be solid and lock the reticle in place where you want it to be.

Good rifle scopes are not cheap and they cost some money. Get the best that you can afford on your budget and you will be much happier with your purchase in the long run.

There is nothing worse that paying good money for a guided hunting trip only to find when it's time to shoot that bear, lion, Moose, Elk, Sheep or anything that the rifle scope has shifted it's zero and you miss that important shot of a life time.

I will say this about the Buriss Full Field II Scope. It's holding up for me. It may not allow me to adjust the object for parallex or to change the magnification without moving the flip up cover on the Occular but it's got pretty good quality glass and allows me to shot pretty accurately with my Remingtion Model 660 Rifle. The 222 Accutip V bullets are very accurate with that polymer tip on them and the boat tail design of the end of the bullet. Or is is the HPBT that's got the boat tail design on the back end of the bullet.

Did you know that the drag behind the bullet is what slows the bullet down more than the shape of the front end of the bullet. Think of a football and you will understand what I'm saying. A football has the boat tail shape at both ends and will spiral well though the air. Try throwing a basketball and see how it's dragged down by air resistance all around the round ball. Where as the Football has a much better Ballistic Coefficient, which means much less drag and it gets to the target faster.

Coyotehunter

Last edited by Coyotehunter; 09-18-2015 at 02:37 PM.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:01 PM

Quote:
get an eotech. i can shoot 1-1.5 moa with no magnafication and when those doubles come in its much easier to make sure nobody lives to tell their little friends.
Exactly why I went with the EOTECH EXPS3-4 with the flip to the side G33 magnifier. It's good for up close and personal fast movers and for those yotes that hang up at 300 meters.

Coyotehunter
Old 09-18-2015, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Where is the "LIKE BUTTON"?

Coyotehunter