Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Big Game Hunting

Big Game Hunting Share your experiences, tips, techniques, and thoughts about big game hunting here. Deer, Elk, Moose, Bear, Bigfoot, or whatever else we may have missed.

Old 11-20-2009, 10:01 PM
FOXPRO Field Staff

Default My 09 buck

I rarely scout ahead of time for a particular buck, I know my areas and know where the bucks are. So why disturb them before season. Well back in June I discovered a 7 buck bachelor group. As they grew there were 3 non typicals and 4 nice typical bucks. One buck stood out among the crowd. He was wide and heavy with little clusters at the tip of each tine. He wasn't the best scoring buck in the group but I wanted him bad. When the bucks shed velvet they split up and I lost track of most of them. The one Michelle killed last week was one of the group. The one I wanted I only saw at night except a fleeting glimpse once during the day. Well November the 19th I hunted early morning and saw a few bucks, but not the one! I had a terrible headache all day while I worked {nasty word I know}. I smashed my shooting hand and it was huge and green! My headache never went away so at 3pm I headed back out and tried to catch a nap, but the deer kept me awake! The last 30 minutes of light I got restless and started walking towards a creek crossing. I spotted my buck with a doe near a rock pile, he spooked and ran through an open gate to the next pasture. He stopped looked back, all I had was a neck shot and I missed! Yep it's true,I'm blaming it on the swollen hand couldn't have been anything else! He just stood there for a second till I reloaded then he ran to a cedar thicket and stopped to look for his doe. BIG MISTAKE! I don't miss twice! I shot, he ran then crashed. After the ordeal with Michelle's buck last week, I waited an hour before looking for him. He only made it about 40 yards and piled up. He was everything I thought he was, I know he doesn't score very well but he was too unique to pass up.
He is 21 1/2 inches inside spread, he is a basic eight with several tiny points. Oh and he has a 27 1/2 inch neck!!!

Old 11-20-2009, 10:49 PM

Very cool looking buck. Congratulations!
Old 11-21-2009, 11:36 AM

What a wild thing! Good job, looks like some interesting country too...
Romans 1:16
Old 11-23-2009, 10:11 PM

UNIQUE is he!
WOW, that is a cool deal right there. I don't hunt deer but I would have done the same thing, cuz he was so different.

In Christ,

Song Dog
Old 11-25-2009, 03:35 PM

Default Sweet!

That is one neat deer right there. From the distance he looked like a book 6 pointer I bet. That is cool. Congrats!