Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Big Game Hunting

Big Game Hunting Share your experiences, tips, techniques, and thoughts about big game hunting here. Deer, Elk, Moose, Bear, Bigfoot, or whatever else we may have missed.

Old 11-03-2009, 10:50 PM

Default Another Illinois Whitetail falls to the FX-5

Well as most of you know I have been using the Fox Pro FX-3 and now I am using the FX-5 to hunt whitetails here in Illinois. Yesterday about 4:30 in the afternoon I had a little Doe coming right to me while playing the Doe Estrous sound. Everything was looking great until a buck showed up and started chasing her. LOL He chased her into a standing corn field and made me mad so I increased the volume trying to pull her back out of the corn. At about 4:40 I heard rustling in the leaves. Low and behold another Doe was coming out. She would stop and listen to the caller and then she would take a few steps and do it all again. LOL Well as luck would have it she came out and I saw she had a beautiful double white patch on her neck and she was a nice size Doe. I turned the caller off, she stepped out looking for the sound, I stood up, drew and released the arrow into the sweet spot. She ran off and it sounded like she crashed about 50 yards from my stand. Yep another notch for the ole Fox Pro FX-5! If you have one and your not using it for whitetails and it's legal in your state then you must not want to harvest any whitetails. Like taking candy from a baby. This is number 3 for the year and I just happen to have 5 more tags in my possession right now. I apologize for the picture not being the best and I sure didn't clean anything up like I should have either but sometimes you just have to do what you can do.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:52 PM

oops I forgot to mention her head is huge. Just compare it to the size of my hand in the photo. My hand when spread out only covers her cheek! She only weighed in at 150 pounds though. Lots of eats...
Old 11-03-2009, 11:41 PM

150 is a BIG doe around here. Good going!
Old 11-04-2009, 03:48 AM

Thanks Weasel. The biggest one I have ever shot did not have a head as big as this one and it weighed 205. Plus this one has the extra white patch. She is going to be my next competition piece at the next taxidermy competition.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:41 AM
FOXPRO Administration

psycho,

Congrats on the doe. Yeah, I agree that alot of people are missing the boat by not trying to call them in with an ecaller. Over 50 percent of the states allow you to legally use an electronic caller for deer. You can be sure that if it was legal in PA, I would be doing it. I was supposed to go to Ohio and do some filming with a FOXPRO this week, but I am under the weather, and stayed at home again today. Couldn't have come at a worse time.

edited to add:

Here is a link for those of you that would like to know if it's legal in your state. These were up to date the end of last season, so I would still suggest checking your book:

http://www.gofoxpro.com/resources/state_laws/index.php

Last edited by Mike Dillon; 11-04-2009 at 08:43 AM.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:27 PM

Thanks guys. I will tell you this. I am so confident in using my Fox Pro that I am sure by the end of the season I will have at least one if not two Pope and Young deer on the ground as well. To date I have harvested 14 deer with my Fox Pro. Dan Hudzik
Old 11-06-2009, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Dillon View Post
Here is a link for those of you that would like to know if it's legal in your state. These were up to date the end of last season, so I would still suggest checking your book:

http://www.gofoxpro.com/resources/state_laws/index.php
Thanks for the link Mike!
An update for you, as of THIS year, Georgia now allows electronic calls for coyotes on WMAs. After a LOT of complaining.
Old 11-07-2009, 04:14 PM

this past friday i had my foxpro fx3 playing the rabbit distress with my jib decoy and a 6 pointer walked right up to it and just stared at the decoy for about 10 minutes before finally walking away. first encounter with a deer and my foxpro but hopefully not the last.