Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Feline Hunting

Feline Hunting No, not the place for housecats. This is for the "other"cats, including bobcats and mountain lions (the BIG cats).

Old 02-27-2019, 07:59 PM

Default When do you hang it up?

How long up into the new year do you hunt bobcats. Where I am at, the season closes the end of February. I usually hang it up first week of February or somewhere around that time. Not sure why I do not hunt till the end. What about you all, do you hunt them hard till the end?
Old 02-27-2019, 08:30 PM

A few years ago our season here in Virginia for bobcats ended the last day of January. Yet trappers could continue to trap them until the end of Feb. A few of my hunting buddies and I got together and made an appointment with the Virginia Dept of Game and Inland Fisheries Furbearers Manager Mike Fies to seek out his advice on how to change things. He told us the Board of Directors were reviewing the regulations on seasons, so we met up with them. We met with them and pleaded our case. It might have helped that we had the Vice President of the Virginia Trappers Association with us, he calls too. They actually listened and agreed to extend our calling season by a full month to align it with the trappers.

So that being said, we hunt them right up until the last day of Feb. We have found they are their most vocal during the month of Feb, breeding season. In fact I have never heard a bobcat squall except in Feb. I know they must scream and squall other times, I just haven't heard them.

It all ends tomorrow night at midnight for us.
Old 02-27-2019, 08:33 PM

That is an interesting story Sonny. I would say that feels like a sense of major accomplishment when you have a say in getting a season extended. I am sure that many cat hunters in Virginia thank you for that. Do you use vocals during the month of February, distress, or mix of both?
Old 02-27-2019, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kykiller View Post
Do you use vocals during the month of February, distress, or mix of both?

It's funny you should ask that, as I finished typing my reply to your original post, I was sitting here thinking about the times I have used mating sounds or other bobcat vocals. I realized that they have "never" produced for me. We've called in most of our cats using rabbit distress. They are curious animals and have even responded to Platinum Gray Fox about three different times for us when we were calling Grays.

But my "go to" sound for Bobcats is Devil Hare or Devil Bunny which ever it is listed as on your FoxPro caller, it is the same sound.
Old 02-27-2019, 08:49 PM

I took your advice and downloaded the Devil Hare. I am going to give it a try tomorrow. How would you compare calling with distress sounds in late February compared to say December and January? About the same percentages on successful stands?
Old 02-27-2019, 09:00 PM

I've called them in with Devil Hare in November with the sun shining bright, in the middle of the afternoon, with nice warm temps, and then just the other night in Feb when it was cold as a well diggers ass at night.

The secret to calling them in, IF THERE IS A SECRET, is to get in as close on them as you can get without being detected. They will not travel a great distance to a sound. Bird sounds work, rabbit sounds work, and even Platinum Gray Fox Pup works, out of curiosity, if you get in close on them in their core area. Scout, scout, scout. Know they are there. Listen to your farmers, landowners anyone reliable who sees them out and about. MRI=most recent information.
Old 02-27-2019, 09:10 PM

That is the toughest part where I hunt. The main piece that I hunted this year in Tennessee is 50,000 acres. It is a WMA, largest in the state. When you get back in it, there are not any houses within 10 miles, literally. It is old broken woods strip mines. No land owners or farmers in those parts. Awesome habitat, but like you said, it requires scouting, and more scouting. I wish I could tell the difference between cat scat and coyote scat. I honestly cannot tell the difference. I just go with my gut most of the time from MRI or past experiences and I do alright. I am always on the lookout for tracks. It would be nice to know how much the cats I hunt actually travel. I sometimes get discouraged finding the tracks and then thinking while I am on stand that the cat is probably 2 miles away, lol. I still stay a minimum of 1 hour though regardless. I have become much more patient the older I get.
Old 02-27-2019, 09:21 PM

I just sent you a Private message. Let me know you got it please.
Old 02-28-2019, 07:46 AM

When do you hang it up? Never lol. No, I would have to say when the season ends, or your mind says go, but your body says no.
Old 02-28-2019, 10:18 AM

Hey KYK--bobcat droppings are sharp on the end last out . Coyote is not and lots of hair in dropping too

Last edited by SWAMPBUCK10PT; 02-28-2019 at 10:23 AM.