Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Predator Hunting

Predator Hunting It's open season on predator discussions! Questions, stories, tips, and techniques are all fair game.

Old 01-31-2019, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkreps View Post
This is why I fish from a kayak, slow and steady
Greg is creep'n around the forum again!.......gonna be a cold one tonight for that Big Fox contest......see ya Sat at 0100 for check in!
Old 01-31-2019, 09:04 AM

FoxerNOpro, its simple don't participate. I think going to a contest where there's a home team advantage is stacking odds against you to start. But there's more to a contest then just winning. Its about sharing, learning, enjoying yourself with others that enjoy the sport etc.. If you have the attitude its all about the money or your the best. Forget it there's always someone better or luckier.

Here's a question for you. If you had the money to spend and the property to go to as FoxPro or any of these other guys that put down a lot of predators how do you think you would do? Maybe at first not as good. But over time I bet you would be just as good, who knows maybe better.

But there is something that you can do in the areas that you hunt that can make you better, DON'T MISS. Kill every single predator that you call in with one shot. If you pull the trigger, their should be no misses.

Anyway, people that know me and have hunted with me will tell you I rarely miss. That's my goal, placing one round down range and hitting my mark. I get pissed at myself regardless if I killed the animal, If I did not put that round exactly where I wanted it. So my point is, where ever you go to hunt enjoy yourself and pride yourself on being the best that you can be with what you have. Take pride in your accomplishments. I would also like to say I mean no disrespect to anyone nor their accomplishments.
Old 02-01-2019, 08:23 PM
FOXPRO Field Staff

I hope I don't affend anyone, but hunting in contests for money is very similar to fishing tournaments. I have been blessed to have experienced some of the best bass fishing in the country, but when the tournaments got started, I nearly quit. I sure wasn't afraid of competition, and I wouldn't be afraid of competition in hunting tournaments, but it is getting away from the main reasons I fished and hunted. It is enough competition for me to try to battle the elements and outsmart the critters.

If it is your thing, I'd say go for it, but like most things involved with money, it gets tarnished before long.
Old 02-01-2019, 08:24 PM

Yup

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 02-02-2019, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possumal View Post
I hope I don't affend anyone, but hunting in contests for money is very similar to fishing tournaments. I have been blessed to have experienced some of the best bass fishing in the country, but when the tournaments got started, I nearly quit. I sure wasn't afraid of competition, and I wouldn't be afraid of competition in hunting tournaments, but it is getting away from the main reasons I fished and hunted. It is enough competition for me to try to battle the elements and outsmart the critters.

If it is your thing, I'd say go for it, but like most things involved with money, it gets tarnished before long.
Agreed....same sentiments shared earlier in this thread. Archer and I are trying to keep the PHM Tournament from being tarnished as it grows larger each year. It was started to just get a bunch of like minded folks together for a fun contest.

Now, with that said.....the season ending BIG FOX contest was held the past two nights. Not about the numbers but who brought in the heaviest fox....the weather was frigid basically 0 degrees both nights. The weigh in was this morning at 0100 AM......and there was a great turn out....this wasn't about winning big money...it was a bunch of TRUE dedicated hunters battling the elements and the critters.....you have to be a die hard predator hunter to go out in that weather....and show up at weigh in...man it was cold....I will post pics in a new thread shortly....I'm still thawing out....; )
Old 02-02-2019, 10:40 AM

Hats off to you and Jeremy for your dedication to the sport my friend. Checkin at 1:00am. I was sound asleep. Good on you guys.

Old 02-02-2019, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny Pruitt View Post
Hats off to you and Jeremy for your dedication to the sport my friend. Checkin at 1:00am. I was sound asleep. Good on you guys.

Good thing I didn't call you to give a live update......when the phone wakes me up from a sound sleep it's General Quarters all over again.......lol
Old 02-02-2019, 01:37 PM

LOL. Yup

Old 08-21-2019, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxerNOpro1966 View Post
Despite my obvious jealousy and complete lack of ability to understand how it's possible...can anyone explain to me how these fellas from MD are able to kill 62 fox in a day and half to win the Easter US Predator calling championship?

Hey I'm not being a smart &^% I'm serious. I'd love to try these contests out some year but what is the point? Sure it would be fun for a little and to drive down to Wytheville VA to check in and see the piles of fur loading some guys truck beds but there isn't any chance of me killing more that a fox or three if I hunt up here where I am. Maybe I'd get a coyote...possibly. I see these cats use thermals and I've heard that that eastern shore area of Maryland is loaded with fox. WMU 5B, 4C, and 5C which are south eastern PA are also loaded with fox. My area of the state, WMU 5A harvested 3800 red fox last year while the Lancaster area report shows a harvest of almost 12,000 red fox. It's pretty clear some areas it's like shooting fish in a barrel.

I know that might upset some folks and I don't mean to I just get a little burnt knowing I guess I just live in a pretty dang poor area. Excuse...sure it is and I'm just jawing I realize. Being in an area where you can kill 62 fox in less that 36 hours seems ridiculous to me and I know that obviously these guys worked their butts off getting access and traveling and driving but still...62 fox in 36 hours???? doesn't seem like a contest if you ask me.

Sincerely,
jealous and a little peeved.
Jeremy and I put in the work all year picking up land, scouting the land, shooting, etc. We hunt from the start time, until the last minute the contest ends, or the last second we can until we have to leave for checkin. We have a minimum of 75 farms that we hunt for contests and have land that we fun hunt as well. A lot of people always say itís not possible until they come hunt and see for themselves. Not only just the preparation help, but having a partner that youíve hunted with since we were teenagers is huge. It starts from when we step out of the vehicle, we know whoís grabbing what, and on the way to the farms weíre hunting, we know what the wind direction is and that will dictate where we set up in the field. We donít even have to communicate verbally on sets. When the fox/coyote is coming in and what itís actions are, we know what we want or need the other one to do. Changing sounds is key and when to change them by how they are reacting. One other thing is we shoot non stop though the season, and off season. We know what our bullets are doing at most reasonable distances. The first 2 sets of this contest jeremy and I both each missed a fox that hung up and after that we went 62 for 62. No reason for anyone to get upset!! I donít take offense to it whatsoever. I have no problem explaining how we do things!! Everyoneís tactics are different, but there is no wrong tactic! If it works for them and they are successful, thatís great!! Keep piling them up!!