Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Predator Hunting

Predator Hunting It's open season on predator discussions! Questions, stories, tips, and techniques are all fair game.

Old 01-17-2019, 12:37 PM
FOXPRO Field Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxerNOpro1966 View Post
Why are farmers telling you NO fox hunting?
Thanks
So not exactly what you are asking, but kind of...

But before I get to that, I should probably be upfront in saying, I rarely hunt private land, I've never asked permission to hunt in my life and I don't ever intend to.

So, with that out of the way, I can say, it is not all that uncommon for ranchers in my areas to either not want coyotes killed at all, or, to not want recreational callers mucking around with them at all.

Was talking to a hunting buddy last week, he knows the owner of a large ranch that I have hunted coyote around the edges of for years and years. Good coyote ground. I have never been interested in getting permission to hunt on the ranch. But, my buddy told me we are welcome there anytime to shoot jackrabbits (by the hundreds), but NOT to kill coyotes. That rancher doesn't want the coyotes killed. They eat rodents and rabbits that compete with cows for graze. He's not worried about coyotes killing any of his stock, it just almost never happens.

A lot of ranchers that do want the coyotes killed, for whatever reasons, often won't let recreational callers hunt as they generally create more coyote problems than they solve. They have pros, either gov't or contract or control board or whatever.

- DAA
Old 01-17-2019, 01:25 PM

Hey Dave,
Your comments are always welcome. Itís very interesting for sure. Itís the same reason orchard owners donít want fox killed. They eat all the mice that I believe they say eat the bark at the base of the trees. Makes perfect sense.

PS...on another note please take a look at another thread I have about ďhow to hunt this at nightĒ. I have some set up pictures and Iím curious about your take. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro