Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Predator Hunting

Predator Hunting It's open season on predator discussions! Questions, stories, tips, and techniques are all fair game.

Old 11-30-2018, 11:40 AM

Default Coyotes and Red Foxes - yea they can live together

Called this big male red fox last night at a property adjacent to a property where I just had a pack of coyotes howling back at me. (No luck with the coyotes despite 25 minutes of trying. I used a sequence > Lone male howl, paused 2 minutes, the howling back started and stopped a minute later, then > Female coyote yodel howls, waited a few minutes, then > coyote pup distress 3. Then threw in some prey distress but after the 1st 5 minutes of being there the howl backs stopped and all fell silent)

If all the books say coyotes will kill every fox in their territory then I guess this red fox never read that book.

Fox calling sure is fun though!~
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7077 small.jpg (43.9 KB, 56 views)

Last edited by FoxerNOpro1966; 11-30-2018 at 11:43 AM.
Old 11-30-2018, 05:57 PM

Other than being ambushed, I don't think a coyote can catch a red fox. The people I know who hunt with dogs say a coyote can only run about 1/2 hour. Have a person in Ohio who bays coyotes with a jadg terrier that weights 25#.
A red fox can run a long time in front of dogs.
Old 12-01-2018, 12:59 PM
FOXPRO Field Staff

I'd say it depends a lot on the terrain. In hilly country, with lots of trails and breaks in the cover, a red fox would have some advantage. Out in open country, I'd bet on a coyote being able to catch a red fox. For years around central Ky., we found red foxes totally disemboweled, and left to rot. The red fox population suffered as a result. Tracks and other sign indicated the dirty work done by coyotes.
Old 12-01-2018, 01:15 PM

We're going through this right now here in my part of Virginia. The coyote population has gotten big enough, plentiful enough that the Reds have suffered. But, I have observed a change in the Red Fox's habits. He has moved into closer proximity to humans, raising litters under decks and out buildings, in culverts along county roads. By doing these things, they're making a comeback so to speak. Al is right about the habitat/terrain impacting who wins in the race for life. Foxes have learned to take up residence where coyotes are not sure about going. The Red in the picture above may have simply been on the outskirts of the coyote's territory. I have seen territorial boundaries defined by two packs of coyotes, they would come to the edge of the territory but never cross out of it.
Old 12-01-2018, 03:36 PM

Nice fox. We used to catch fox and coyotes around the house but it's been a while since we've seen a fox. Found what was left of one last year. Wish they would come back around.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 12-02-2018, 08:53 AM

Archer and I hunt several properties where the yotes yip/howel/bark as we are taking reds.....only thing is the reds are more apt to come out and play...

.....one of these days we will be patient enough to let the reds walk and wait on the yotes........nahhh, probably not.....; )
Old 12-02-2018, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XNAVYORDIE View Post
....one of these days we will be patient enough to let the reds walk and wait on the yotes........nahhh, probably not.....; )
I seriously doubt that Navy. An active trigger finger is a happy trigger finger
Old 12-02-2018, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny Pruitt View Post
I seriously doubt that Navy. An active trigger finger is a happy trigger finger
You are probably right.....when I suggested to Archer that we should be patient by passing up all the reds that come in to the call (in areas we know yotes are known/heard) he looked at me as if I just told him I was a closet liberal and collected stuffed unicorns.
Old 12-02-2018, 01:16 PM

LOL, Archer is true to himself. Kill em if they come.
Old 12-03-2018, 10:40 AM
FOXPRO Field Staff

Almost every red fox I ever called in, which is not that many, but almost all of them were on accident while trying to call a coyote. So, yeah, they can survive amongst coyote. But not in numbers. And coyote generally will kill them if they get half a chance. I think coyote doesn't have much problem chasing one down if it comes to a speed contest either.

In my area, red fox are almost more of a city creature than a creature of the wild. I've seen way more of them in my neighborhood and in random places around town than I have seen out in the wild where the coyotes are.

- DAA