Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Tips From the Pros

Tips From the Pros Get valuable knowledge from the best in the business! Read enticing articles and ask questions here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-31-2019, 07:42 PM

Default Setting up using diaphragms and mouthcalls

Recently I picked up a few calls a friend recommended. What got my interest started was watching Al Morris and Randy Anderson bleating away on those blasted minature horns and mouth calls when they had ecallers sitting in front of them. I had to figure out why they would bother. It's been a journey and a confusing one. But with the help of a friend and co-conspirator, I've built up a small arsenal of diaphragms and hand calls and, much to my wife's chagrin, have bleated and bellowed enough on the blasted things to make her ears bleed and my dogs whine whenever they see me reach for one. Still, I bravely gathered in my arsenal, headed for the desert this morning for a test run now that fox season is coming to an end and....

I realized I had no idea how to set up without my shockwave and a decoy. And to be honest, I stood there scratching my head, realizing that this wasn't going to be like Al or Randy's open vista where they could see for miles. I was in the thick stuff with a 30 yard (maybe?) shooting lane in 3 different directions. This was definitely more like MFK than foxpro or primos, but without the fire lanes and field edges to work with, only lots of cactus and thorny nasty brush and palo verde trees clogging the broken desert.

Dr Sceery, in his video on calling predators recommended something that makes a lot of sense to me, yet at the same time makes me a bit nervous due to the amount of mountain lion we have around here. In his video he sits with his back to the wind... not his face... but his back. He's tucked up into a bush. He uses a hand call or two. That's it. Frankly, it's almost beautiful in it's simplicity. He calls, expecting that the coyotes will probably come in from behind him and circle him, coming in from an upwind approach. Now almost everybody I've listened to prefers to hunt with the wind in their face or a crosswind. However, Dr Sceery takes you on a hunt where you see him set up as he describes and sure enough, the coyotes circled him and the way he sat he would not have been able to see them coming in. However, he could see to both sides and cover his downwind as they circled him. No second shooter to guard the downwind side. Just him. He said everybody faces the wind, but the majority of time the coyote is hunting you. The trick is to be the prey. Make them hunt you, then shoot them before they hit your back trail coming in to the stand. His reasoning sounds so simple and logical it seems hard to refute. And watching him put his methods to work, the patient way in which he called, no frustrated button punching... well, it's a different kind of hunting than I'm doing and it would be kind of freeing to leave the backpack in the truck and walk in with only a couple of calls draped around my neck and a drag in my back pocket. It sounded good, then it looked good as I watched, but videos usually do.

I'm wondering two things from those of you who obviously have been at this a lot longer than I have and may know guys like Dr. Sceery. First, could it work for folks like me who don't have open fields to shoot across and are often limited to less than 50 yard shots. Two, have you ever tried or do you use anything similar to this in your setup? And if you do, how would you implement what you do in this scenario.

I know this is long, but I think there are a lot of guys like me who want the challenge of taking this to the next level, but may not get the chance to travel to Nebraska or Wyoming any time soon and aren't quite satisfied with letting the ecaller do all the work and would like to understand what guys like Dr. Sceery are really doing and why they are having success with it. If you have some answers I'd love to hear them.

Thanks in advance and I apologize for the length of this post.

Greyhunter

Last edited by Greyhunter; 03-31-2019 at 07:59 PM. Reason: Found a few errors and improvements needed