Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Predator Hunting

Predator Hunting It's open season on predator discussions! Questions, stories, tips, and techniques are all fair game.

Old 11-25-2015, 04:35 PM

Not trying to thread jack, but this relates. Here is a bobcat I shot. Very solid hit as you can see. It ran off and climbed a tree. When we trailed it, it was still alive...about 10 min from the shot until it actually expired. Mammals are tuff!

Video link: http://youtu.be/4PrlL71gtQc
Old 01-04-2016, 10:19 PM

Not jacking threads either, I guess, but I have a similar coyote tough story.
I'm a long time coyote hunter, and back in the day we used FMJ to keep from ruining less hide. This story stopped that and caused us to use soft points and or hollowpoints.
My friend ranched in central wyoming and was an avid coyote hunter.
While driving to the ranch one day he came upon a coyote along side the road he was driving, a gravel ranch road. She was running along side the road farely close. He decided to take a shot at her out the pickup window, which he did. When he shot, a tuft of hair flew off of her nose just in front of her eyes. Like all coyotes after being shot at, she hit high gear. He sped up and shot again, and a tuft of hair flew from her side, middle of her torso dead center of the lungs. The road turned and he was unable to follow, thinking she would die soon enough. After stoping and tracking her several hundred yards he gave up and continued on to work. Coyote lost, right? Nope, well yes, kinda.
Three months later, another ranch hand was calling near the sight of the lost coyote. He called in a female and shot and killed her. After taking her to the ranch he noticed a deep gouge in her nose from what appeared to be a bullet scar. The wound had completely healed but a furrow was creased in the top of her snout.
Upon further examination, he noticed a small scar on her rib cage. They skinned her and found the 22 caliber entrance wound and exit wound completely healed but only a small scar. So they cut her open to find a smooth hole through her lungs where the bullet had gone through. It is true, coyotes are tough.
Old 04-25-2016, 08:55 PM

Great video. Good Info.
Firestorm
Black jack
Jack-in-the-box
Hunt Hard, Shoot Straight, Kill Clean, Apologize To No One.... PX
Old 05-20-2016, 04:14 PM

Amazing that he ran that far with losing that much blood
Scope: Pulsar Trail50 Thermal Sight
Scope: Vortex 4x16
Old 09-01-2016, 11:17 AM

What a video and to bring back so many memories.I too have seen how coyotes can , and Do never cease to amaze with their true will to live.
Old 02-13-2017, 05:37 PM

Great lesson here -- I too have had similar happenings -- easier to track on the snow also.
Old 02-13-2017, 08:55 PM

Ok ,ok , ok. First off congrats again not only on the kill but the recovery. I don't care anymore if someone gets offended. All calibers will kill if its a vital hit PERIOD..... Recovery on those that run off. Excellent job guys. People Stop blaming the caliber 17's, 22's etc.
Do an autopsy on a coyote or fox, learn first hand where the vitals are located. Pick a bullet that will not only be the most accurate for your weapon. But that will penetrate deep enough to reach the vitals PERIOD. Once the bullet is there if it expands completely and expends all its energy HERE. You will have more DRT.and less travelers. Now if the coyote above had no lungs to supply oxygen to the brain it shuts down, if no heart, blood loss to vital organs shut down. This coyote traveled a great distance, not because of the caliber. But because the bullet hit the shoulder came apart and excited out the paunch PERIOD. Had that bullet hit the shoulder completely expanded into tiny pieces of shrapnel into lungs and heart expending all its energy here. This coyote probably would of never got up. Know how your bullet will preform when it hits soft tissue only. Know how your bullet will preform when it hits bone. Know what a 5, 8, 12, 15 MPH effect has on your bullet at different ranges. And yes we all make mistakes, rush shots etc.. And yes there is no magical bullet. But for the most part anyone that shot a fox or coyote and lost it, sorry to hear that. But that's your fault not the weapon. I saw black and white films made by Gordon Eastman where Eskimos put down Polar Bears with one shot from a 22 magnum. Moose put down with 30/30. So if you feel you need a 338 to put down a coyote that's fine. If you can do it with a 22 rim that's fine to. Please stop nocking each other we have enough people out there that don't likes as is.
Old 12-31-2017, 08:11 PM

Yes I would have never believed that . Thanks for sharing . Amazing how strong mother nature is .
Old 12-31-2018, 10:55 AM

Wow! they are definitely tough animals.