Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > General Discussion > Fireside Chat

Fireside Chat Open Discussion Forum. Join us around our fire for every day chit chat.

Old 02-19-2017, 08:21 AM

Default Just back into predator hunting

I am from Maine just got back into predator hunting this year . Was wondering what best all round set up would be for rifle . Have past on several fox because im using 257 roberts at moment . Would like info on good fox coyote gun with out pelt damage but plenty stopping power. I know there are so many options. ty
Old 02-19-2017, 09:39 AM

In my opinion. Depending on range, weather conditions,your shooting ability night or daytime calling. I personally hunt at night, My shots range from 10yds to 100yds. New areas with some fields being 3 to 400 yds. Did not feel comfortable knowing a fox or coyote could hang up a little further out. I have put down coyotes, red and gray fox with 22 mag 40gr JHP. inside 120. Never had one run over 25 yds. Now I switched to 17Hornet will not hesitate out to 200yds. I down loaded 25grhp have not experience any fur damage and they are DRT so far nock on wood. Shot placement is key, and if you can't place your round, I suggest something bigger that will be a little more forgiving. And NO I'm not saying people with bigger calibers just throw shots.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:42 AM

See my response on your other post
Old 02-21-2017, 09:16 PM

I either use my Savage Axis .223 with 55 grain V-max bullets or my CZ Model 527 "Varmint" .204 using 39 grain Sierra Blitz King bullets.Both Rifles shoot good and flat and accurate put small entrance holes and no exit holes with good shot placement!
Old 02-22-2017, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex21rex View Post
Does anyone have more info on the 220 swift? I was thinking of getting one
You will probably get a better response in the correct place......Firearms and Loads...; )
Old 02-22-2017, 07:47 PM

I'm shooting a Ruger M77/22 Hornet. Hornady 35 grain vmax bullets. Shoots great. I've killed fox with it very little pelt damage. Haven't got to shoot a coyote yet. Calling coyotes this time of year in central Pa isn't easy with all the hounds running them. Can't wait to get my first one down with the hornet.
Old 02-28-2017, 07:30 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsman79 View Post
I'm shooting a Ruger M77/22 Hornet. Hornady 35 grain vmax bullets. Shoots great. I've killed fox with it very little pelt damage. Haven't got to shoot a coyote yet. Calling coyotes this time of year in central Pa isn't easy with all the hounds running them. Can't wait to get my first one down with the hornet.
Sooner or later you will connect. Try not to rush your shot. I know easier said then done.
Old 02-28-2017, 08:55 AM

I like my 17wsm for Fox-sure did a great job on a Gray Fox a couple weeks ago-of all the Predator rifles I have I do like the 222 rem the best shooting 40 or 50 gr Nolser

Tags
swift