Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Tips From the Pros

Tips From the Pros Get valuable knowledge from the best in the business! Read enticing articles and ask questions here.

Old 12-04-2016, 05:57 PM

Default Barometric pressure

Recently I have been paying attention to barometric pressure when I am calling coyotes. It appears to me when the pressure is falling coyotes do not call or at least do not call well. When the pressure is rising it seems they call much better. Has anyone else noticed this?
Old 12-04-2016, 06:21 PM
FOXPRO Field Staff

Over the years, I find it to be the opposite. However, the period after a storm, when the pressure is rising, is better than during the storm. IMO, it is all about not wasting energy. A coyote is quite expert at using time and resources efficiently.
Old 12-04-2016, 08:04 PM

My experiences have been the same as Mr. Prathers'. I agree with his post, 100%.
Old 12-04-2016, 10:33 PM

I guess I left out that I was referring to before and after a storm. I am going to continue to watch this after all any knowledge you can gain helps. Thanks guys for the reply.
Old 12-05-2016, 10:59 AM
FOXPRO Field Staff

O.K., leaving out during the storm, my comments remain the same. When the pressure is dropping before a storm, the coyotes will put on the feed bag. The closer to the actual storm it gets, the more apt they are to lay up and avoid the storm. It is a lot like the way fish go on a feeding spree when bad a weather front is moving in. When the storm is over, and the weather improves, all the critters they feed on start moving, and they go back to feeding.

Some of my most memorable hunts have been the day before a storm front.
Old 12-05-2016, 11:01 AM

Looking on line at Foxpros Fox data, looks like decreasing pressure was more successful 70% of the time! Compared to 30% for increasing pressure! A lot of interesting stats on that page!

Last edited by Firery33; 01-03-2017 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Stated Decreasing instead increasing.
Old 12-05-2016, 12:04 PM

Thanks I will check that out.
Old 01-03-2017, 11:35 AM

Brian, my findings are exactly the same as yours. Coyotes do not call well with a falling barometer. Coyotes do not feed heavily before a storm, but after. Years of calling, trapping and aerial hunting have proven this.
Far more activity after a storm than before.
Old 01-04-2017, 10:00 AM

I was just out riding around couple nights ago looking for tracks during a blizzard. Found 4 locations with coyote sign and prob 10 with fox tracks in about 4 hrs. It was snowing hard before I started so any track found was fresh. One set of coyote tracks was plain as day when I pulled up on rhem, then couldn't even tell what they were in about 10 min. So fairly easy to pinpoint the timing.

Very next night it was absolutley perfect weather so I went almost same route and only found 1 set of coyote tracks and 0 fox in about 4 hrs.

So to me they were moving way more during a storm than after it on this particular night in my neck of the woods. Made no sense to me either
Old 01-26-2017, 11:13 PM

I have a deer pile in the back of my house we decided to throw a camera on it this year I have pics of red fox and coyotes in a blizzard