Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Tips From the Pros

Tips From the Pros Get valuable knowledge from the best in the business! Read enticing articles and ask questions here.

Old 04-01-2015, 02:01 PM
FOXPRO Field Staff

Default Good sound combination

Here is a proven sound combination, whether you are using an ecaller or hand calls. Use 3 or 4 series of hawk screams, immediately followed by Jackrabbit distress. Have your gun ready. Try to copy the sound you have no doubt heard of a redtail hawk as he swoops low over the fields trying to scare a rabbit out of his bed, going immediately to a jackrabbit distress.
Old 04-01-2015, 04:20 PM

great idea ! now I need a hawk scream call !
Old 04-01-2015, 04:54 PM
FOXPRO Field Staff

Primos or Lohman make a good hawk screamer.
Old 04-01-2015, 04:58 PM

awesome ! thanks . headed to mtns coyote hunting next weekend, a few weeks ahead of spring turkey season. hopefully things calmed down by now
Old 04-02-2015, 08:15 AM
FOXPRO Field Staff

FYI, Quaker Boy also makes a hawk screamer call that works well. I fondly remember a hunt about twenty years ago, when Yote Yoda and I were hunting one of our favorite places in central Kentucky. Old Yoda had his back to a big oak along the edge of a river cliff, and I was snuggled back under a big cedar about twenty yards behind him. Within seconds of the jackrabbit distress, a big male showed up about 100 yds in front of Yoda. He cracked him in the right shoulder, knocking him down, and he came up running full speed and went over the edge of the cliff and fell at least 150 yards nearly straight down. Easily one of the most memorable hunts we have had.
Old 04-02-2015, 11:28 AM

Thanks for reminding me about that hunt PossumAl. That was a great hunt and even a better memory. We have had quite a run on coyotes in the last 25 years or so and we have a lot of good stories to tell. I still get the same rush today that I did many years ago when we killed the first one and I know you feel the same.

I plan to hunt coyotes until I can no longer walk or see and then I am going to take up fishing. Few more years and the Crappie are in real trouble.

SpitfirE, Firest0rm, FurY, FusioN, Sh0ckwavE & CS24C
Old 04-02-2015, 04:49 PM

another great tip.to bad I gotta wait till Sept. Or Oct. To try it.thanks PossomAl
Old 04-12-2015, 08:31 PM

I tried the hawk screams and then lightning jack . no results so I waited 5 min and tried turkey gobbles and exited hen yelps . I got hen replys so I started mimicking what I heard and within a few minutes i had a gobbler with them sounding off. I never was much for talking turkey but I had 6 come in and 1 was a gobbler giving us a great show ! I had a 13 year old hunter with me and he had a front row seat ! no yotes but a great hunt !