Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Firearms and Loads

Firearms and Loads A forum dedicated to weapons and loads of choice.

Old 12-08-2009, 11:26 PM

I have shot all of the above and at 400yds. it is the 22-250. Mark
Old 12-09-2009, 06:49 PM

I have both 204 and 22-250. my go to gun is my 22-250. Ive shot a few with the 204 and was not particularly happy with the results. If you go with the 204 and the hornady 45gr sp you would be in business. After i shoot up all the shells i have loaded for my 204 now, i am goin to try either the 45 gr sp or bergers
Old 12-11-2009, 12:30 AM

I shoot both the .204 with 35 grain Bergers and for the 22-250 use the 50 grain Nosler BT's. The 50 grain BT's do more damage in most cases, but not much goes far when that bullet hits them. The .204 is in a Cooper with a heavy 26 inch barrel, so it isn't used much when the sets are very far from the vehicle. I am going to be testing some 50 grain Bergers this winter in the 250 to see what kind of damage they give. Most of my shots are under 200 yards, so you are splitting hairs on which one will work the best. some days it comes down to which rifle makes the most noise when I open the safe to take something out to hunt with .
Old 12-16-2009, 08:57 AM

I owned/own both (traded in the 204 a couple years ago and haven't replaced it) and shot them extensively.

If you are hunting coyotes for fur and are willing to hold your shots to a max of maybe 250 yards, the 204 is ideal. In fact, I think the 204 is the best all around fur caliber I have used.

It's biggest downside is wind bucking. Next to the 17 centerfires, it's the poorest caliber in windy conditions I've used. Those little pills start fast but shed velocity quickly. There will be guys who trot out ballistics tables showing it to be better that the 250, I say go out & try them in the field and see for yourself...

As far as the 250 goes, I think it's the best all around varminter going. If I could only have one rifle for all varminting/dogging, it's going to be a Remington 700 with a 24" standard contour barrel and trigger set to 2.5 lbs. In fact, that's exactly the 250 I have, go figure. The 204 does a few things better, but by & large can't carry the 250's jock...