Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Big Game Hunting

Big Game Hunting Share your experiences, tips, techniques, and thoughts about big game hunting here. Deer, Elk, Moose, Bear, Bigfoot, or whatever else we may have missed.

Old 12-06-2010, 10:06 PM

Default 10 mill or 44 mag for trail gun

I live in so cal and need to get a bear cougar gun. I am torn between the 44 mag in a wheel gun or the Glock in 10 mm.What say you.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:18 AM

I carry a 44mag or a 45acp. I think both the 44 and the 10 will get the job done. I do carry the 44 more just because we have bears also and i like the power of a 44. Haveing a auto is nice for fast shooting. My friend and I came up on a cougar and I shot 3 times and he shot 6 with is 40 in the same amount of time. We both missed but he did shoot more. Good Luck and shoot straight.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:34 AM

i went with the glock 10mm. Love it. All i have to worry about are walking up on wild hogs here, but they will still charge if cornered or threatened.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:30 PM

one question though. Is ammo an issue? the .44 has been around forever and thus easy to pick up a box of rounds just about anywhere if you left yours at home (good Lord forbid) An auto will put out more rounds quicker but I have to say that I like wheel guns for hunting protection, I have a very stout handloaded .357 that is accurate to over 80 yds, will the 10mil do the same in a pinch? a caveat to that is that I carry a .45 at any other time or any of my other handguns. I guess this is more of a personal issue really. What would you feel more comfortable with? Powerful rounds or slightly less powerful rounds that can be spit out faster?