Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > FOXPRO Sounds > Sounds Discussion

Sounds Discussion Have a question about what sounds to use? Or maybe you need help selecting new sounds. This is the place to ask.

Old 03-31-2017, 09:57 AM

Default Sceanrios and Sequences that worked

This may have been discussed before but thought I would throw it out there anyway. SCENARIO'S AND SEQUENCES. Drawing them a picture in their mind's eye.

Now that some of the FoxPro callers(Fusion and Shockwave) have the ability to fuse sounds together as well as build your own sequences via computer programming, and you call always combine your mouth blown calls with any FoxPro simultaneously to build a scenario. I wanted to asked you to name sound combinations by any method that have been successful for you.

I believe it would be helpful to guys breaking into the art of calling, as well as maybe open some of the minds of us older guys. A rabbit in distress of any type being tormented by a Crow Duet , or a turkey in distress, that had been preceded by a lost hen sound that is now being mauled by a fox sound or something similar.

The last coyote I killed while using my old FX5 came into a scenario I built (one sound at a time) came in seeing a picture in his mind of a lost turkey hen, that suddenly went into distress mode and was then being tormented my a Gray Fox. Build them a picture. It works. That prompted me to break down and buy another new FoxPro, the Fusion.

Everyone who knows me, knows that my set up for calling Gray Fox is simply rapidly cycling through the Gray Fox sounds, giving each sounds about 2-3 minutes each, if Platinum doesn't get him in, Screamin Gray or Steeltown will, if not then Gray Fox Distress will. They can't stand that rapid changing of sounds, it provokes them into a charge. It just works!

Tell us what you got, how you build it.

Last edited by Sonny Pruitt; 03-31-2017 at 10:02 AM.
Old 03-31-2017, 11:26 AM
FOXPRO Field Staff

All of the sequences that I created and used successfully were made using Goldwave, which is an entirely different method than the sequences created using File Generator. That being said, it requires a command of the Goldwave program and sounds already converted to mp3 or wave format. In my opinion, this is far superior to the File Generator method most people are using.

The basic idea is to create a realistic scenario using either method. A typical one for me is my Coyote & turkey sequence. It starts out with a couple of coyotes running in and scattering a flock of turkeys in dry leaves. Coyotes yipping and barking, plenty of running in dry leaves, turkeys scattering making all kinds of alarm sounds. Then a lost turkey hen yelping and listening, a poult doing kee kee run, hen yelping again followed by a period of listening. Coyotes run back in again, and more turkey alarm sounds. Gradually converts to the lost hen and kee kee run sounds. The entire sequence lasts about 15 minutes. I have called in lots of multiple coyotes using this sequence.
Old 03-31-2017, 12:34 PM

That's pretty interesting Possumal. I recently just purchased a Fusion and it was mostly influenced by how you use yours. I would be interested in more about using that Goldwave and possibly a tutorial some day on how you go about doing that. Of course that might be a totally different thread.
Old 03-31-2017, 01:02 PM
FOXPRO Field Staff

The learning curve on Goldwave is pretty tough but doable. They have tutorials available. I believe they give you about 2,000 commands for your trial period. Getting the mp3 or wave files is important. Once you have them, you can actually listen to the sequence you are making as you make it.
Old 03-31-2017, 01:11 PM

Thanks Possumal I was looking into Goldwave and Wavepad. They both seem to be pretty good. I also like Sonny's theory about calling in those grey foxes rapidly. I do the same thing but I have not made any sequences yet. But, I have some great ideas. This is a great topic.
Old 03-31-2017, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradofurtaker View Post
But, I have some great ideas. This is a great topic.
Exchanging those great ideas is what I was trying to achieve here. Glad you like it. Now, Al- I make a lot of road trips back and forth btwn Virginia and Missouri. Don't be surprised if you get a phone call and I am at a gas station near you wanting a first hand tutorial with Fusion in hand. I am not the least bit computer savy, but I have great kids and grandkids that are. I'll never be able to develop those sequences. Mine are manually sequences(me operating the remote) or fusing a couple sounds together. But I can build a scenario in their mind's eye and have done it successfully. Whatever works, right?

Hope this dialogue continues!
Old 03-31-2017, 01:52 PM
FOXPRO Field Staff

Something I left out in my earlier post is that programs like Goldwave allow you to create stereo sequences, which I believe to be a big advantage when fully implementing your stereo amplifier. I made one sequence called "Coyotes and kid goat", the coyotes run in on a bunch of goats and all kinds of crap break loose. Eventually, it changes to goats in distress on each channel, just coyotes barking on one channel with goats on the other, and gradually the prey getting weaker sounding which is what triggers a lot of responses. We killed a bunch of coyotes with that sequence.
Old 03-31-2017, 01:56 PM

That's really cool Possumal. I'm going to have fun this weekend trying to figure all that out and create something.
Old 03-31-2017, 04:55 PM
FOXPRO Field Staff

You got that right, Sonny. My oldest son used the sequences like you make with the File Generator method, and he has killed some coyotes with them. What I don't like about making that kind of sequence is not being able to listen to it and edit it while you are creating it. I know a lot of good coyote hunters who feel the same way. I just don't see how you can make a sequence of that type and be confident that a responding coyote doesn't quit coming when he hears the sound change to something unrelated. It is all about what you have confidence in.
Old 04-06-2017, 08:55 AM
FOXPRO Field Staff

I'm not a believer in pre-built "sequences", myself. Of course, I rarely use any kind of sequence at all. But when I do, it's a decision made in real time, on the spot, relevant and specific to what I'm seeing and hearing at that moment. I just can't imagine deciding ahead of time that I'm going to change to any particular sound at exactly such and such a time.

I think anyone who has been doing this for awhile and seen more than just a few hundred coyotes coming to the call, has seen coyotes just immediately lose interest and stop coming when the sound changes. You usually see this when someone else is running the caller and they haven't seen the coyote coming. Or, you hear about it from your partner when you are running the call and you don't see the coyote coming.

But, basically, my rule of thumb, I have a coyote coming, I don't change the sound as long as he's still coming and I still want him to keep coming. Having a pre-built sequence change it for me at exactly the wrong moment just does't sound like a good plan, to me.

Having said all that... The sound I use 97% of the time, usually the only sound I use on a stand. Sometimes the only sound I use for a whole weekend. Is actually a "sequence" of sorts. It's a sequence of jackrabbit distress. I used Goldwave to stitch together what I thought were the best sounding parts from about half a dozen different jackrabbits I had recorded. I chose what to me were the most urgent, emotional sounding parts from all those different rabbit recordings and put them together. Some of the parts I thought were really good, I repeated three, four times right in a row. It's about 2:30 in length. Have called in well over a thousand coyote with that sound.

- DAA