Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Firearms and Loads

Firearms and Loads A forum dedicated to weapons and loads of choice.

Old 01-27-2019, 12:34 PM

All that said...
My boy uses a CZ , 17 hornet.
OUT standing out to around 200 yards.
I have seen him stretch that to 300 when there is NO wind.
Old 01-27-2019, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furguy View Post
All that said...
Big difference between a rimfire 17HMR and a centerfire 17 Hornet....
Old 01-27-2019, 03:54 PM

I agree, there is a difference. I also have CZ 17 HH Varmint. Love the set trigger. But A 17 HMR, for 100/125yds yes. I myself don't think I would push it past that unless I made a mistake on judging distance. I'm not saying it wont kill a coyote past that range, but I don't think I feel confident enough in it, especially if it were at night. Now Andrew killed a coyote at I think 180yds with a 22 mag. You would have to ask him about that. But again I would not feel comfortable taking that shot either. I think sometimes people may get too confident, and may try to shoot a little further the next time and the animal goes off and suffers. Then its a sad thing. Know first hand your weapon, Know what your capable of, know what that bullet will due on impact, Don't just shoot at an animal place your round.
Old 01-27-2019, 04:08 PM

I just thought I would add this. Last Friday night I called in a grey fox at about 130 yards. I shot right behind front shoulder with my 17 wsm . The fox jumped 5 feet in air. I found some blood where it was standing on inpact then about four drops. I looked that night then the next morning and could not locate the fox. It brothers me when I wound a animal. I'm gonna switch to my 222 or 223 now. I have a17hmr but will not use on fox or coyote. I understand it's all about shot placement as well.
Old 01-28-2019, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
I just thought I would add this. Last Friday night I called in a grey fox at about 130 yards. I shot right behind front shoulder with my 17 wsm . The fox jumped 5 feet in air. I found some blood where it was standing on inpact then about four drops. I looked that night then the next morning and could not locate the fox. It brothers me when I wound a animal. I'm gonna switch to my 222 or 223 now. I have a17hmr but will not use on fox or coyote. I understand it's all about shot placement as well.
Sorry to hear you lost him. 130yds seriously that's a nice shot especially on a small target like a fox. Changing caliber, there's nothing wrong with that either. But without finding the fox, exact shot placement is hard to determine. He jumped 5 ft in the air. It sounds like you hit him low. When we don't have DRT. its vital to watch the animal reaction to help determine the shot. I myself always expect the animal to react and run and I watch for it. That when the animal DRT Which happens majority of the time, I'm like wow I got him. I only have one question for you to ask yourself. I pray this doesn't happen, but if you shot a fox or coyote with a 222 or 223 and loose the animal are you going to blame the cal. Because don't matter what cal you buy sooner or later it will. There is no magic cal, nor bullet.
Old 01-30-2019, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furguy View Post
All that said...
If you don't mind me asking, Which round does your son use? And what does he have his rifle sighted in for. I never had to pull a shot past 170 give or take a few yards. If I know there's a good chance more so for a coyote then fox to show up at a particular farm, where the distance could be further and stronger wind I will use factory 25 HP over my reloads.
Old 01-30-2019, 08:30 PM

http://https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/rifle/17-hornet-20-gr-v-max-superformance-varmint#!/

Hornady 20 gr V max. he sights in at 100 yards.
Old 01-31-2019, 10:09 AM

Thanks, for info.
Old Yesterday, 11:05 AM

17 hmr can certainly kill them. But you have to be precise and they will probably run some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk