Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Firearms and Loads

Firearms and Loads A forum dedicated to weapons and loads of choice.

Old 05-07-2017, 11:15 PM

Default 22 mag. ammo

What is the consensus of the new Hornady 30gr. versus the Win. Super X 40gr. hp on Coyote and Fox. I know a lot of 22 mag. rifles shoot the Hornady better than the Win. 40gr., but is the Hornady a good Predator round?
Old 05-08-2017, 01:09 PM

I've been using the CCI 30gr VMAX since it shoots MOA from my rifle. Two red fox dispatched immediately within 50 yards and one that required a follow up shot after I knocked it down with shot number one.

Shot placement is crucual with this caliber. There was no visible damage to pelts.
Old 05-08-2017, 10:39 PM

Thank you for the reply.
For many many years I have used the Win. 40gr. hp's with great success and was wondering how the newer 22mag. stuff was doing in comparison.
Old 05-09-2017, 07:32 AM

Hornady 30g is great for fox inside 100 yards but not so good on coyote. I like the hornady 45g critical defense, dam accurate and dependable. Had alot of problems with Winchester lately like ftf and fte.
Old 05-10-2017, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimfirenut View Post
Hornady 30g is great for fox inside 100 yards but not so good on coyote. I like the hornady 45g critical defense, dam accurate and dependable. Had alot of problems with Winchester lately like ftf and fte.
Thanks rimfirenut. What you said concerning the 30gr. Hornady is what figured. And wouldn't you know it, my Ruger loves the Hornady but not so much the Win. I'll have to work on the Ruger and see if I can talk it into getting along with the Win.
I've not tried any of the Hornady 45gr., but I do have plans to. The Win. mag ammo I have, has not given any problems, but then it is around 30yrs. old and I have plenty of it that will last me forever.
Old 07-15-2017, 04:38 PM

I love the hornady 30gr. vmax out of my 22 mag shoots very accurately out of it. I have killed lots of greys with it very good fur friendly round killed greys out to 130 yards with that caliber & round. Not that great for coyotes lost some coyotes to it & shot them close & good shot placement. Shot placement is key really.