Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Night Hunting

Night Hunting If you're afraid of the dark, this might not be the right forum for you. If not, turn off your light and share your stories, post your photos, and ask away.

Old 01-29-2019, 06:15 AM

Default Setup help WV

I need advice to what me and my buddy are doing wrong we've called in many coyotes and Bobcats but never see them. Just have found tracks doubling over the trail in the state lands. We look for tracks on the way in and find fresh ones circling around us. We use scent control, set the call crosswind or upwind from us 40-60yards away. Try to set up on ways we can cover all entrances downwind as a priority. Yes WV is difficult terrain to hunt with thickets not much fields and dips and reviens everywhere. It's getting frustrating to call in animals and educate them. Any tips or tricks to at least see them? We hunt at night and day.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 09-11-2019, 03:31 AM

Probably found your own solution already, but as a Jackal caller from the early 90's the few hard lessons I've learnt are: 1 They come in down-wind 99% of the time. 2 be able to see clearly downwind by 400m+ or don't do the call. 3 elevation or obstruction preventing them wind-ing you is preferable but rare. 4 try avoid dead-ground in your kill-zone if possible. 5 If the terrain prohibits a clean call, the option is a day-call with stealth insertion. (choose kill zone, insert with assistant; (noise) set up hide and caller and bed down. when ALL prepared, go quiet; and instruct assistant to vacate normally. Once the critters deems the vehicle/assistant far enough away, they become brazen. They own the area once more and respond to 2-second call within minutes. My record is 3min 47 seconds after the call. Try it, if done correctly, you won't be disappointed.