www.gofoxpro.com

Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Predator Hunting

Predator Hunting It's open season on predator discussions! Questions, stories, tips, and techniques are all fair game.

Old 02-01-2021, 11:07 AM

Default Daytime calling

Anybody have any tips for daytime coyote calling. I donít hear a lot of howls during the day so Iím not sure if I should use them. Hunting in agriculture land in southern MN. My caller is a shockwave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-01-2021, 03:49 PM

I would still want to make some kind of scenario. Like announce yourself as a coyote that came into the area. Lonesome howl to start, or something to grab their attention. Then go to a red fox distress or some other prey species. You could switch for a few mins, throwing crows in, then back to distress. Maybe put out a decoy to help grab their attention visually as well.
Old 02-06-2021, 07:47 PM

day break tends to be the best. As the day goes on they tend to slow coming in.
Ruger Percision Rifle 243 Harris extended S25C
Vortex 4x12x50 crossfire on each setup
Hornady V-Max 58gr
Old 02-21-2021, 05:06 PM

My typical stand will start with some non aggressive lone howls. A female interrogation howl of some sort will work well. 2-3 howls over a few minutes and I'll start with some prey distress. I like to start low and increase the volume fairly quickly over the first few minutes. I want the sound to reach out a long ways fairly early in the set. It can take some time for a distant coyote to show up. If you wait until later in the set to hit higher volumes, the coyote can show up when you've already left for the truck. Once hitting higher volume with distress, I will back it off to around 50% volume. I typically play distress for 30-45 seconds and mute for 2-3 minutes and repeat. If nothing shows by the 15min mark, I will go with a coyote wrestle or pup distress sound. I will play this on higher volume, a few minutes then back off the volume and switch to a coaxer like rodent or bird distress, maybe magpie or raven sounds. Sit tight for 5-10 mins and wait. You can't have too much patience, just this morning I did a 60 minute stand with no action, but when I was walking out to grab my caller, I spot a coyote 300 yards out running away. GAH!