Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Coyote Hunting

Coyote Hunting Canis latrans. Ky'ote. Ky'otee. Whatever you want to call it, it's one of the most popular predators hunted in the world today.

Old 09-12-2017, 06:19 PM

Default 17 hornet 20 grain issues??

Ive now seen people shoot and have personally shot a couple coyotes with the 17 hornady hornet 20 grain. It seems that if they are out past 200 and not perfectly broadside when hit they take off never to be seen again. Have any of you taken coyotes with the 25 grain hollow point hornady custom? If so how did it perform?? Thanks in advance
Old 09-12-2017, 08:54 PM

Not to toot my own horn, or in this case my boys horn.
He shoots a 17 hornet CZ, it is a laser and instant death on coyotes well OVER 200 yards.
He does reload , BUT in the 17 he uses factory 20gr shells.
Nothing he loads do as good as the factory.
He has used the heaver bullets but with very limited success .
There SO much slower , just not as lethal.
Out here in the west it's the wind not so much the distance that limits the 17
Old 09-15-2017, 05:45 PM

I shot 1 coyote quartering to me at 266 yds and he just ran off, i love the gun but also want to be able to put fur on the stretcher.
Old 09-15-2017, 06:10 PM

Have you shot paper at 300 yards?
There is considerable drop at 300 yards.
You need a bunch of trigger time out that far.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:16 PM

Yes sir i have , i have mine about an inch and a half high at 100 , dead on at 200, and my first hash mark in my scope is 300 , the 2nd hash mark is 400, i was just curious if anyone else had any troubles with the factory 20 gr ammo killing coyotes that arent perfectly broadside
Old 09-16-2017, 08:21 AM

Background: After years of using 22mag. I wanted something that was fur friendly from me to 200yds maybe 250 if need to be. So I study ballistics on 17HMR,17 Hornet ,22 Hornet,and 204. I also read the stories, Pro and con. Anyway I purchased a 17 Hornet, ordered the scope I wanted and bought 5 boxes of 20gr.Vmax. After sighting in, I started testing the round at different ranges on different fruit , canned goods, magazines etc. I discovered it was highly accurate as long as you account for wind. Now the true test a live animal. One night in February I was hunting a plowed up corn field along a river about 11 mins in I caught eyes. Immediately I went to my scope, it's a coyote. Looking through my scope placing the lighted dot on his chest I watched him as he trotted towards me. When he stopped, I touched the set trigger. The coyote disappeared. After several mins. of scanning. I decided to go look. Of course I forgot my flashlight in the truck. So I'm looking for him with my red headlight. Well I found him. By the tracks in the snow he came into the plowed field at the far end and trotted towards me in a furrow, when I shot he dropped making it a little hard to find him. So now I can examine what a 20gr Vmax 17 Hornet can do to a coyote. After skinning him. I cut him open being careful not to damage internal organs.The bullet entered 1/2 inch to the left of center chest, Penetrated 17 inches before blowing an 1 1/2 inches hole out the left side of his ribs. I paced off 120/123 yards. Now I believe that the 20 gr Vmax will put down a coyote. However, without a body to examine. You may have hit bone as soon as the round entered causing the bullet to rapidly expand more on surface then on the inside(Splash) effect. If he was quartering it may have had more of a glancing effect instead of full penetration. Deer get shot every year with 30-06 and run is that to say the caliber is no good. Since I shot that coyote. I now reload 25grhp No fur damage , none run. Watch the wind , the range, place your shots.
Old 09-16-2017, 08:27 PM

I ordered some 25 grain hp bullets to try, the gun is a sweet shooter and has some awesome figure in the stock, its the cz 527 varmint so i knew itd shoot good. Ill just have to pick my shots, i should have let the 1 get closer before i shot, i probably did hit bone like you said. Do the 25 gr hp do better if you hit bone?