Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Predator Hunting

Predator Hunting It's open season on predator discussions! Questions, stories, tips, and techniques are all fair game.

Old 09-10-2017, 09:04 PM

Default Wolf hunting/calling....need some input/help

So...I am a avid coyote hunter and do ok here in No. Calif. and So. E. Oregon. I recently had a very rare (for me at least) opportunity to hunt wolves in central Idaho on private ranches...yes...plural.

There has been confirmed sightings of a pair of wolves on one ranch and one on another.

So I have my non resident hunting lic. And will be buying some wolf tags when in get in the area.

My question is how do I hunt them? Do they respond to calls? Set up a stand and just wait? Stalk them?

I only have a few days that I will be there hunting. I will be doing some calling for coyotes on some other ranches, but I would really like to bag a wolf or two.

Any advice and/or input would be great.

The only bummer is I can not bring pelts back into CA? So I have my proxy forum printed out and will be donating any wolf I get to the local taxidermy.

Thanks
Old 09-14-2017, 10:19 PM

I was fortunate to call in a wolf on two concecutive days in Idaho this spring on a bear hunt. A buddy who was archery hunting had one walk past him while he was eating his lunch and as he stood up he saw it standing and looking at him from the middle of the old road he was on. He had his bow in his hand so he quickly ranged it, nocked an arrow, and drew back only to have the wolf walk off into the brush as he settled his pin on it. After that he did some poking around and found a lot more tracks in the area. When he got back to camp and told us about it and that he thought they were hanging out in the area either due to a den or kill another buddy and I made a plan to go after them the next day.

We hiked in to the spot, set up my Fury, and got into a good hiding spot. I told my buddy to be ready because the brush in the area was thick and I knew it could happen really quick. (or not at all) We got settled in and I turned coyote pup distress on at a medium volume. Literally within 30 seconds we had a wolf running at the call and he shot a nice female at 70 yds.

The next day I hiked back in with another buddy who has had wolf on his bucket list for a long time. We setup close to where we had shot the female the day before and I turned on coyote pup distress again. I ran the call for 30 seconds and then turned it off. (I like to make the predator look for the call if possible instead of letting them pin point the sound and then just sit and watch) About a minute after I turned off the sound I noticed Jeff adjusting his position as he spotted movement.

A big male was sneaking down through the small trees and it stopped at about 180 yards. I was kicking myself at that point because I didn't bring a rifle with me and Jeff couldn't see the wolf. A few seconds later he moved in a few more yards to where Jeff could see him and stopped to look for the sound again. Jeff made a great shot at 176 yards and we had our second wolf in as many days.

I've always wanted to call in a wolf and that hunt was one for the books.

Last edited by Justin Crossley; 09-14-2017 at 10:26 PM.
Old 09-15-2017, 05:32 PM

That is good stuff right there. I am getting excited. I will be heading out shortly for Idaho.

My current plan is to hit the ranches that have the coyote problems and then spend one day hunting wolf.
I will be using different calls....elk calls, some wolf howls, distress sounds, etc. pretty much just a newbie wolf caller hoping something might work.

I will be posting details of the trip when I return.
Old 09-15-2017, 05:43 PM

Can't wait to hear the report. Good luck