Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Predator Hunting

Predator Hunting It's open season on predator discussions! Questions, stories, tips, and techniques are all fair game.

Old 01-08-2021, 12:34 AM

Default British Columbia wolf hunt

A good friend and I headed out predator hunting. Lots of coyote tracks, some Lynx, one wolf track at our first spot, but no action. Weather wasn't ideal, +2c and windy as hell. We headed back to the truck and drove to a spot I found on google earth and wanted to try. There was a fresh Lynx track we cut on the way in. Fighting the thick brush and blow down, we finally start breaking down the slope to the lake. As soon as I get into ice, I look to the west and something is laying out on the ice.

Amphibious is 30 feet above me coming down the bank, I tell him to freeze, and I pull out my binos. Hoooo boy, a grey wolf is laying there looking my way! It seems surreal. I whisper loudly to Amphibious that there's a wolf laying out there, his eyes got big. Not wasting any time, I spread the legs on my shooting tripod, turn scope to 8x, and chamber a round in my Tikka 22 Creedmoor. I quickly estimate the distance at 200y, but donít risk wasting the time to range it. The wolf is still laying there, watching my direction. I contemplated barking to try and get it to stand up, but the reticle was solid and I felt confident on a frontal bedded shot at that distance.

I begin the trigger press and let a 80.5gr Berger @ 3360 FPS rip. The most satisfying KER-WHAPP, big hollow thud, reported back to me. The wolf just laid out flat. An instant later, I reload and catch movement on the shoreline. Two more wolves , a black and another grey! They run out onto the ice, bad move on their part. I get on the black Wolf, quartering to at a little closer distance than the one I shot. It stops and I fire, another huge thump on impact. The wolf starts doing egg beaters spins, I reload but donít see the third wolf, so I get the reticle back on black wolf which is doing slow spins. It starts heading closer to me, wobbling and spinning. It walks straight at me and turns broadside and I let fly again - WHAP!, it sounds like shooting into a 4 gallon jug of water. The wolf spins a few more times and goes down. I look up at Amphibious, who is still perched above me on the slope. He could only see the black wolf the whole time, and had no idea I got two haha. We head out and check them out. Found where the other two wolves had been bedded on the edge of the lake, soaking up the sun. 255 yards to the bedded grey wolf, the black one dropped 222 yards from my shooting position.

The bullet impact on the grey wolf (60lb female) was in the neck, exited high shoulder. The black wolf was a 60lb male, first shot hit a bit far back, quartering through the ribs on entry and exited out the rear of the dog. Second should was right behind the shoulder

Got them skinned out and will send them in to get tanned, my 6 year old son wants them to hang on the wall in his room.

Old 01-08-2021, 12:36 AM

Old 01-08-2021, 09:10 AM

Out standing!!!
But your pictures are to big
Old 01-08-2021, 11:10 AM

Great story and thanks for sharing. way to dig around and do some scouting for new places, paid off big time and quickly...I am super jealous of your hunt. As I read your post it reminded me of something that has stuck with me. may have heard this but if you hang the pelts in your son's room it is really fitting as it is from a Cherokee grandfather passing knowledge to grandson:

Battle of 2 wolves inside us all

One is evil- It is anger, jealous, greed, resentment, lies, inferiority, and ego

The other is good- It is joy, peace, love, hope, humility, empathy, kindness, and truth

The wolf that wins? - The one you feed

I'm down in MN where the wolf population has far exceeded # goal defined. Momentum swinging to get a season back and I believe WI has already defined one for this year with the de-listing. Fingers crossed for MN
Old 01-08-2021, 12:10 PM
FOXPRO Field Staff

Great hunt, great posts. You might consider resizing your pictures.
Old 01-08-2021, 03:11 PM

7saum, love the post, but please resize your photos.
Old 01-11-2021, 02:07 AM

Awesome job. Thanks for the write up and for sharing the experience.
Old 01-11-2021, 12:07 PM

Default Wtg

Congrads on taking Two trophies, WTG,
Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-14-2021, 07:04 PM

Good job congrats