Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Feline Hunting

Feline Hunting No, not the place for housecats. This is for the "other"cats, including bobcats and mountain lions (the BIG cats).

Old 02-19-2019, 12:55 PM

Default Bobcat in heat

Has anyone used bobcat in heat sound and had any luck with it? I found an area with quite a few tracks with one really big set. This area has seen quiet a bit of pressure and was trying to think of something other than distress to bring him in. Have several cage traps in the area for a week and a half and haven't caught him yet so i figured I should just try calling him every chance I can since I only have 10 days left of season.
Old 02-19-2019, 05:34 PM

This is my first post here. I enjoy reading and gaining information about how other people do it, mainly in the east. I have to add my .02 cents on the bobcat in heat. I have been hammering the bobcats here in southeast Kentucky/ northeast Tennessee this year. I started the year with my usual bird sounds and sometimes cottontail. I was into the females and killed 4 in a couple week span. I was pumped up, but was wanting bigger cats (toms). I decided to download the Bobcat in Heat and honestly felt a little odd using it. I don't know why I never used it before, but I hadn't.
So anyways, first set out, I hit it mid-volume and it sounds absolutely amazing and realistic. Made the hair stand up on my neck. Was playing this for a minute at a time every 15 minutes or so. 35 minutes into the calling and I heard a noise (maybe 150 yards away if that) that I had never heard before and I wasn't sure if it was an odd sounding bird or what. I thought it might be a cat responding so I did a short 15 second in heat call again. Not even 30 seconds later boom a cat is trotting in from 75 yards. He was not slowing up a bit and I knew I had him. Waited for him to pop up on a downed tree 30 yards away and killed him. Big 20 pound male (pretty big for my area).
Tried the call again for many unsuccessful stands (maybe 10 stands) and then struck gold again when this time I heard the tom responding to my calls from a rocky outcropping 200 yards above me. He sounded basically like the same in heat call I was using. Took him about 7 or 8 minutes and I had him killed at 20 yards. I use strictly shotgun and like to get them up close. That was probably the coolest hunt I have ever experienced. He was a 22 pound male.
Sorry for the long post, but I am telling you guys that it absolutely works and the two I did call in both responded to the call. It is awesome hearing them, cause you know you have them hook, line, and sinker. Give it a try and it might not work every time, but when it does, it is like nothing else. Just wanted to pass along the information.
Old 02-19-2019, 06:41 PM

Thanks for replying. I figure at this point why not try. Was mostly wondering if people have luck just jumping right into it or doing some other call first then switching to it. I cat a 27 pound tom last year and judging by the tracks this one left he has to be around the 30 pound mark. Hopefully if he doesn't go in one of the traps I can get my cross hairs on him.
Old 02-19-2019, 06:57 PM

I really hope you can call him in. When I use the in-heat call, I use that call only the whole time. I could not find much info about how long it took them to come in or if they vocalized back. Of the two that I called in, one was at 35 minute mark and the other was at 40 minute. Before I started using it, I figured it would be a sound they would come in quick to. But it seems they take just as long as when using distress calls.
I don't know what they do in that 30 or 40 minutes when they must be hearing the call but don't come in? Maybe the toms I killed were just very far away and just eased in, but when I did hear them vocalizing back, they closed the last 150 yards or so pretty quickly. I'm not sure why they would take that long to initially vocalize back.....but when they do its game on. Also, the times that these took place were 12:30 in the afternoon and 3:00 afternoon. Dates were December 26th and February 10th. Try it out man, it works. Just be patient and if he is in the area and can hear the call, its gonna be hard for him to resist it.
Old 02-19-2019, 08:06 PM

Welcome to the FoxPro Forums, Kykiller. Thanks for sharing your experience.
Old 02-19-2019, 08:33 PM

Thanks Weasel, glad to be here. I did want to share what I have seen this year as I haven't read much info on the heat call. I am always looking at new things and tactics to add to my arsenal. I fully believe in this call and if anyone is looking for something to throw at the toms, this is it. To hear them vocalize back at you is something everyone needs to experience.
Old 02-20-2019, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kykiller View Post
To hear them vocalize back at you is something everyone needs to experience.
Second that. The first time I got a cat growling back, it sounded like a lion. I was almost concerned for my well being. I do the same thing with brief calls and long pauses, letting them answer back.

Did you use a decoy at all when they came into the caller?
Old 02-20-2019, 03:55 PM

ChR1s , I had a mojo critter out on both of the kills. I don't think the first cat saw the decoy because I had it on a little flat bench and he had just topped a downed tree, and not sure he could see it. The second tom, came trotting in and I am pretty sure he saw the decoy. He slowed to a stop and then eased around a tree with his back arched up and all of his hair standing up. I am pretty sure he saw the decoy on that one. On a side note, I did not have the decoy spinning on the second cat, just had it out there for the white looking tail. Figured it was better than nothing and I wasn't sure if they would spook from a spinning decoy when they were expecting a motionless cat to be there.
To ChR1s, would you mind putting up the details of your encounters and what happened and what you heard?
Old 02-21-2019, 01:59 PM

Thanks for the replys. I have been busy and didn't have time to download bobcat in heat but went out last night and spotted a cat but the grass was to thick that I only seen it for about 5 seconds. Never did see it again. I was using lucky bird on that set. I now have the bobcat in heat on the caller so I'm going to go back out tonight and try it again. Ive tried calling in the day time but the cover is so thick and tall its tough to see them. I like calling at night because they can't hide their eyes. If I end up getting up I will try posting some pictures.
Old 02-21-2019, 03:33 PM

Deadendhunting; what vol. do you use when using in Bobcat in heat.

Tags
bobcat