Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Big Game Hunting

Big Game Hunting Share your experiences, tips, techniques, and thoughts about big game hunting here. Deer, Elk, Moose, Bear, Bigfoot, or whatever else we may have missed.

Old 10-21-2012, 10:44 PM

Default Deer are moving again!

Well it's been a slow season for me. I have been taking everyone else hunting and haven't been able to get a deer myself yet. I have killed two turkeys this year so I am tagged out on turkeys and can't kill any more. This morning I saw 11 deer and out of them 6 were bucks. I hit the Fox Pro and called them all from about 300 yards away to within 40 to 50 yards. The biggest buck in the group was about 130 inch 8 pointer but I couldn't get a shot off at him because of the brush. I've seen a few more 150+ inch deer but they are just starting to cruise. I'd say by the end of this month the rut will be kicking in for all the archery hunters. We'll see but I think October 30 or the 31st is going to be the two of the best whitetail hunting days of the year here in central Illinois. Good Luck everyone and don't forget your Fox Pro's!
Old 10-22-2012, 09:16 AM

What sound did you use to call them closer?
Old 10-22-2012, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
What sound did you use to call them closer?
Ben I hit the fighting buck sound and varied the volume. After a few seconds I went straight to a buck grunt and then hit the estrous doe and back to the buck grunt and shut it off. I did all of that within 20 to 25 seconds. On the buck fight I play it really low until the rattling is the dominat sound and then I turn it up louder right at that second and then turn it right back down before the grunts start again. It takes a little practice but I have used Fox Pro's for years and I know the sounds really well.

If you are after a Doe they are pretty easy to kill with a Fox Pro. Especially if you have a Doe in the area that has lost a fawn. If so the fawn bleat that DOESN'T sound like a baby crying is the one you want to use. If it sounds like a baby crying DON'T USE IT! I very rarely call Does in with that sound and normally only call in coyotes with that one.

When you use your caller, pay attention to the deer and try to read their body language in the way they move their tails, ears, nose, neck and legs. You will learn if you have their attention and curiosity or if you are scaring them. Remember Fox Pro's can belt out sounds but deer hear a lot better than us so there is no need to blow them out of the country. Also on all deer sounds I use the regular speaker not the loud speaker on my FX5. I know it's outdated and they have newer products but I started out with a 416 went to an FX3 and now use the FX5. The problem with Fox Pro's, is they are dependable and they last a lifetime.

Good Luck and hopefully this helps. I have tried to get Abner to go after whitetails with it for years but they do such a great job with predators they stick with it.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:47 AM

Thanks for the info that really helps. Been wanting to try it here in Louisiana, and with this helpful info we shall see what develops! thanks again for sharing
Old 10-23-2012, 11:34 PM

No problem any time. I like to see people be successful. just make sure it's legal to use in Louisiana. In Illinois it is.