Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Feline Hunting

Feline Hunting No, not the place for housecats. This is for the "other"cats, including bobcats and mountain lions (the BIG cats).

Old 03-19-2019, 05:24 PM

Default New member hung up bobcat

Hello guys and gals I have a question. Iím new to bobcats Iíve popped my cherry and got my first one. Here is my question Iíve done all the ground work and got myself on a big Tom but he is stubborn Iíve only seen him in quick movements or after I think he is gone and he actually was just hiding waiting for me to leave. What can I do heís smart and wonít budge. Iíve tried everything my foxpro has to offer. He will come in and make noise almost to say I see you. Now Iím hunting this cat 2 to 3 times a week and he wonít come out so I can see him but will damn sure let me know he is there. Thanks for the help.
Old 03-19-2019, 07:48 PM

[B][COLOR=Couple things to try---Don't put your caller out in front of you. instead put it 20 to 25 yards behind you. Where you think he is coming from upwind from you--------also this time of year use Bobcat in heat--You'll kill him--Good luck

svb

Last edited by SWAMPBUCK10PT; 03-19-2019 at 07:51 PM.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAMPBUCK10PT View Post
[B][COLOR=Couple things to try---Don't put your caller out in front of you. instead put it 20 to 25 yards behind you. Where you think he is coming from upwind from you--------also this time of year use Bobcat in heat--You'll kill him--Good luck

svb
Also hang a rabbit or bird let it spin. If he don't come in leave him a little treat. Next time he may come in thinking he is getting a free meal.
Old 03-19-2019, 10:22 PM

Welcome to the outfit, Deadheadtodd. What part of the country are you in?
Old 03-19-2019, 10:31 PM

I’m from Pennsylvania originally but moved to Az 3 years ago. Never really tried bobcat until this year I’ve hunted coyote a bunch but I’m hooked on bobcats now.
Old 03-19-2019, 10:34 PM

Also I have tried cat in heat but no luck.
Old 03-19-2019, 11:13 PM

SHOULD HAVE ASKED WHERE YOU WERE FROM TOO--I've never hunted AZ---Placing the caller behind you should work though--Figure out where he's coming from and set up to intercept him before he gets to his hang up area--TRY Using THE SOUNDS He has been coming to if it doesn't work-Try a distress you haven't used----------

svb

Last edited by SWAMPBUCK10PT; 03-19-2019 at 11:19 PM.
Old 03-19-2019, 11:22 PM

The worst part is we canít hunt at night in Arizona like you can back east. So frustrating!
Old 03-20-2019, 03:33 PM

Male bobcats aren't likely to hang around the same area for very long, unless they have a very easy and consistent supply of food.

The good news is that another bobcat will probably move through the same area at some point.

If you are reasonably sure that or another bobcat is in the area I would setup in different spot and play coaxer and/or high pitched, busy bird in distress sounds. Placing the caller behind you is a good suggestion, but don't place it out of your sight. Cats can sneak in and sneak away without you seeing them. Cats don't use their sense of smell like canines do so wind isn't as big a concern.

I am a big believer in using decoys for cats. If you don't have one, something as simple as a turkey feather on a stick works.

Good luck. I hope you whack a cat real soon.
Old 03-20-2019, 09:38 PM

Always use a motion decoy like the FoxJack, always. FoxJack is probably the best. Black birdy looking one is easier to see, low light or full sushine it works.

Type of sounds are not important, birds or rabbits at a high pitch, rapid cadence,busy as Weasel would say, combined with that decoy and patience. Curiosity will eventually kill him. I've called in three using Platinum Gray Fox when calling foxes, they are curious critters.

GOOD LUCK