Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Fox Hunting

Fox Hunting Near and dear to the FOXPRO Family. The place for all discussions specific to fox hunting, including stories, photos, techniques, and questions.

Old 02-10-2019, 06:59 PM

Default Randy Anderson howls for fox

I was really surprised by this video. In it Randy Anderson is howling and has a fox come in. I normally avoid howling this time of year as we can still hunt grey fox and bobcat through March 31st. Sonny turned me on to Randy Andersons system and the calls he uses and for the first time in a month I had coyote action. Not close enough to kill with my shotgun but big and purty! LOL! Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else had experienced fox coming in when howling for coyotes? Here's the video for those who are interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPHR...ejpm7&index=23

If you have I'd love to hear if they actually came in on the howl or was it during the prey distress following the howl?

Hope you all had a great weekend! My Springfield is fixed and back in action and I'm looking foward to getting back at it this coming weekend!
Old 02-10-2019, 07:45 PM
FOXPRO Field Staff

I have had quite a few grey fox come in when using a howling sequence, followed by the coyote catching the grey fox and giving him what for. I've never had a red fox come in to any sound like that, but the little grey is one game customer.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:27 PM

I am glad to hear that as I just got the coyote catching the grey fox a couple weeks ago and started using it. No luck yet but I like the call. Just hopin the desert dogs will like it as well and I'm excited to hear you've had fox come into it. I really enjoy hunting the grey's as well as the coyotes and was worried that I would blow the fox out of there. In the last month I've had 3 fox come in. I usually start out with some prey distress but honestly nothing has been coming in on the prey distress but I keep using it hoping a bobcat might make an appearance one day. But if I'm in fox country then I also use Sonny's trick rotating through the distress fox sounds every few minutes. It works really well. What calling sequence do you use this time of year Possumal?
Old 02-10-2019, 11:04 PM

This is crazy but I did have a Red Fox come into a coyote fight and Growls one time-But I did start with Snow shoe Hight Pitch-It was late Fall and I was so surprised that the darn fox got away---- Has never happened again ---But strange things happens out there so be always ready-----------skip
Old 02-11-2019, 05:00 AM
FOXPRO Field Staff

Greyhunter, I am recovering from cataract surgery on my left eye, and the doctor will do the right eye next. Hunting is not in the agenda as it stands right now. However, if I was hunting this time of year, I would be using various mating sounds exclusively January through February while the coyotes have love on their minds.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:31 AM

Thanks Al and I hope you have a quick recovery! Several of my clients have had that done and it seems to work well but I know the recovery time can be very limiting. Best of luck Al!

Thanks for the info Skip! That is interesting that fox would come in on a coyote fight. You would think that would be the last place they would want to be right?