Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Predator Hunting

Predator Hunting It's open season on predator discussions! Questions, stories, tips, and techniques are all fair game.

Old 01-04-2019, 03:08 PM

Default It was a party, EVERYONE was invited...so I learned

last night I spent 4 hours calling. Eye shine is getting a little tougher as I get into Late Fox season.

I knew another guy or two calls a farm I have that has an established coyote population. BUT...

Last night I finish a stand after about 25 minutes. I got some coyotes to howl back from the other side of the property but nothing came in. I was going to drive to the opposite side to get closer and try my luck...a pretty good plan if you ask me. Well...

I walk back to my truck and there is another truck parked right behind me. A couple super nice guys are standing outside their truck and we talk a bit. To be fair I am just as much of an intruder to them as they are to me and they probably worked that farm before I had permission but it was all good. So really I was the bigger intruder. No hard feelings though and we exchanged info to keep in touch which is pretty cool.

As the 3 of us were hanging out talking about my stand and how I did, and how they've been doing that night, we see a sweeping RED light at the next spot across the way and hear the faint sounds of a screaming rabbit.

HOLY COW! It's a PARTY I guess and we were all invited! About 2 square miles of land maybe and 4 or 5 people at basically the same area all trying to call in a Fox or a Coyote.

I have always sensed the animals I have called at these spots seemed to really be call and light shy. Some I may have taught but I am certain others have taught them too.

Crazy right? Now what the heck should I do? I think I'll just try to change up every sound and every spot I call from at each location. With mating season soon here I guess coyote vocals would be the way to go?

Thanks, Scott
Old 01-04-2019, 08:01 PM

Wow! Sounds like the critters have probably heard every sound there is to hear? If you don't have any other properties or areas to hunt you'll have to change your game. I would try to call closer to where the animals might be. I'd also use sounds that others most likely haven't tried. I especially like the various bird and coaxer sounds in heavily called areas.
Old 01-05-2019, 09:27 AM

That is not an uncommon occurrence here in central Pa. There are a lot of people predator hunting now and with limited farms and state ground getting pounded every weekend Fox and Coyotes have heard every sound that is common. Everyone tries to be a rabbit. I have the same issue up here luckily I am retired and can hunt any night during the week so I almost never run into another hunter. I have also started doing what Weasel suggested and rely more on bird calls and rodent distress sounds with good success
Old 01-05-2019, 10:07 AM

Sounds just like the State Game Lands in South Central PA.......You can hear someone off in the distance with a rabbit call blarring, yote calls from another way, and it seems to never fail you will see headlights come to a stop.....and yote vocals emit loudly from it......

When you call in a predator and kill it on a SGL (around here anyway).....it's pure luck of being there the same time a very dumb predator was.

.....one night I swear I heard someone using a Kazoo.....
Old 01-05-2019, 05:31 PM

Sounds like the way it is getting out here in North Central WA. Seems everyone is out after fur and spending nights running from ranch to ranch
Sako Forester 22-250 55 Gr Sierra Spitzer Boattails
Browning A Bolt 30-06 tack driver
Remington Model 600 Mohawk 243 100 gr Gamekings

Last edited by Jingles; 01-09-2019 at 02:55 PM.
Old 01-08-2019, 03:39 PM

Well I guess I would go earlier or later and try calls that maybe outside the norm. Maybe even try placing your caller differently in your set up. Ex. place caller in a brush line, or hang it on a tree limb. Most always put the caller out in the field. Go from raccoon fighting to bird distress. Maybe lonesome howl, then angry coon to hurt pup. Whos there? What's the commotion ? Free meal. Or just move on.
Old 01-08-2019, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Eyes View Post
Well I guess I would go earlier or later and try calls that maybe outside the norm. Maybe even try placing your caller differently in your set up. Ex. place caller in a brush line, or hang it on a tree limb. Most always put the caller out in the field. Go from raccoon fighting to bird distress. Maybe lonesome howl, then angry coon to hurt pup. Whos there? What's the commotion ? Free meal. Or just move on.
Thanks Night Eyes. I'll be giving it a try for sure. I have a lot of land access BUT there are only certain pockets here where I am that hold the coyotes. Their core territories. There aren't many that you can gain ACCESS too here where I live. So everyone over time finds them and the landowners being the nice people that they are say yes. Which is fine, it's how I was granted permission.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:00 AM

The problem here is everyone hunts. Most of the property I hunt is small fields 150ydsx200yds surrounded by woods. Wind is rarely in favor of my access, coyotes get called hard and chased by hounds man. So you have to learn different tactics.