Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Night Hunting

Night Hunting If you're afraid of the dark, this might not be the right forum for you. If not, turn off your light and share your stories, post your photos, and ask away.

Old 05-15-2019, 05:50 PM

Default Coyote Demise

I haven't been on in a while, so thought I would post a few videos of some recent night hunts. This is a kill in a large field where we had a lot of success over the past few years. I believe this is our 8th kill in this field this season. This female was already in the field mousing when we set up. It was very windy and took some howls to get her attention. She finally got started and Devil Hare kept her coming.

She was trying to get our wind and was close to being downwind of us. I exploded her shoulder on the first shot as the wind caused a little drift, and had to put her down so she wouldn't suffer needlessly. The house and farm equipment in the background are over 1,200 yds. away. I don't know that I've ever seen an uglier coyote.

IMG_0504 by Double Up, on Flickr

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuWJjAYZYCk
Old 05-15-2019, 08:07 PM

I wish the area I lived in had a good abundance of yotes to hunt year round but

Folks moan and groan around here the population isn't enough to be successful during "season" but still hunt during this time of year. Killing one now wouldn't help much...

Saw a dead yote pup on road today.....better to be killed by a car than a long agonizing death from dehydration/starvation when mom is shot......IMHO
Old 05-15-2019, 08:30 PM

That is an ugly coyote, but I've seen uglier.....WAY uglier.
At any rate, it's good to see you back here posting.
Old 05-15-2019, 10:34 PM

I sure agree that I don't like to kill nursing or even pregnant females although the hunt clubs that grant us permission to hunt coyotes probably would rather we kill them all. We don't want to eradicate the coyote, but we do try to thin the population for them. We haven't shot a single female this year that was wet nursing or pregnant.