Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Fox Hunting

Fox Hunting Near and dear to the FOXPRO Family. The place for all discussions specific to fox hunting, including stories, photos, techniques, and questions.

Old 02-02-2019, 01:54 PM

Default Predator Hunters of Maryland BIG FOX contest 2019

BRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!! IT WAS COLD!!!!!!

The PHM end of season "BIG FOX" contest was held from 6 PM Thur to 11:59 PM last night. Weigh in was at 1 AM this morning.

It was a cold and crazy two nights of fox hunting....not only did contestants have to match wits and skill with the already wary late season foxes....they had to contend with the cold...from 0-8 degrees, which takes a toll on the equipment, ballistics, and most importantly your body and mindset. Not to mention....some of us ran into some very weird and fast moving fog. It was crazy! But....fun.

You know you are a die hard dedicated fur chas'n fool when you endure that and then stand around in 0 degree or less weather to watch the critters get weighed in!......I for one kept the Jeep running with heat on the entire time of weigh in! Despite the frigid temps a great time was had by all....like minded folks half frozen chattering away about their hunt, equipment, snafus, etc....predator hunters are elite for sure!

Here are some pics from weigh in.....my phone was acting up, many pics didn't come through and my battery was taking a dive fast!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

....and the WINNER was our own MD Archer (Jeremy Johnson) with a 16.3lb Red!

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by XNAVYORDIE; 02-02-2019 at 02:11 PM.
Old 02-02-2019, 02:23 PM

Default Fog Light....

This is what some of us had to deal with.....pockets would roll in and engulf you......some of them were only 3 feet high.....some were taller than me...it was weird.

On this stand had eyes bouncing in hard towards the caller......then the fog just "appeared" and suddenly was surrounded by red fog and my Scan Pro turned into a light saber from Star Wars.....lol

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-02-2019, 02:30 PM

It takes hardcore hunters to handle situations like y'all went through. Congratulations MD Archer. WTG
Old 02-03-2019, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasel View Post
It takes hardcore hunters to handle situations like y'all went through. Congratulations MD Archer. WTG
I agree Weasel.....to some folks on this forum they may think 0-8 degrees isn't cold....but to folks in this area not acclimated to these conditions it really throws extra obstacles into your hunt! Both physically and mentally.

I was pretty proud of my kid also.....he never complained once about being cold or miserable.

I'm also happy MD Archer took the top prize......he does a ton to get this sport some positive attention and getting hunters together.....for the right reasons not just winning.
Old 02-04-2019, 09:59 PM

It was a ton of fun. Had several people head out and have success. I had my best solo night ever. Hit 4 stands. Single, single, blank, and ended with a triple.

On stand 2 I had a misfire and was still able to kill the fox.

On the 4th stand killed a fox, had a misfire, put new bullet in and it didn't chamber...I kept my calm and got it together and was able to kill the 2nd and 3rd fox that came in.

Never killed 5 in one night solo and never killed a triple on a stand alone. Was worth it standing out there in those temps!
Old 02-04-2019, 10:57 PM

Congratulations Guys Way to go putting a good Hunt---What was the final Numbers taken and Hunters?????

svb
Old 02-05-2019, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAMPBUCK10PT View Post
Congratulations Guys Way to go putting a good Hunt---What was the final Numbers taken and Hunters?????

svb
Didn't keep track of how many fox were brought in since it was a single category "Big Fox" contest. Archer put this together as a "Fun" hunt for end of season. It wasn't as formal as the Annual contest.
Old 02-05-2019, 10:18 AM

Congratulations MD Archer. Way to go Whtm the brutality cold weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 02-05-2019, 04:42 PM

Congrats on the hunt. Everyone looks cold and tired.