Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Night Hunting

Night Hunting If you're afraid of the dark, this might not be the right forum for you. If not, turn off your light and share your stories, post your photos, and ask away.

Old 12-06-2017, 02:39 PM

Default Best ways to transition from scan light to kill light - for SOLO & PARTNERs

Hi everyone,
I would like to ask everyone's help to see how different people transition from a handheld or headlamp scan light to their scope mounted kill lights. ONLY asking for those that hunt with red lights at night. DETAILS please of exactly how others feel the best way to do it is.

This is my first year with kill lights mounted on my rifle and I am now using a headlamp for scanning so it's been a little easier. I also have used a Fire Eye handheld scan light but always had issues with SOLO scanning and trying to transition to a shotgun or rifle.

Please let me know how you transition from a scanning light to your kill light successfully. It may sound like a silly question because a lot is written about it but most times the subject of actually how to transition between the two lights is rarely explained. At most you will read an article and it will say "once you spot eyes keep the fox / coyote in the halo of the light until they are in range, then switch your kill light on to make the shot and make sure you turn on the kill light before turning off the scan light"

Well...to my point, that doesn't explain how the transition is done correctly.
You have a hand on the scan light, a hand on the rifle, the kill light needs turned on, the scan light needs turned off, if I'm standing do I DROP the scan light? Turn it off? It sometimes feels like I need more arms!

Last edited by FoxerNOpro1966; 12-06-2017 at 02:41 PM.
Old 12-06-2017, 03:54 PM

When I hunted with lights I would turn my kill light on before turning off my scan light. I believed they didn't notice it as much. BTW my scan light was red but my kill light was white.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Old 12-06-2017, 03:55 PM

both - when i spot eyes, i turn my kill light on ii dont care if its 400 yards out

solo- i will get my gun and kill light on the predator and then turn my scan off or if i have my headlamp on i point it to the sky and leave it on and use the gun to follow them in

Partner- I "signal my partner with my scan when they shine my way then i turn mine off and use the gun t ofollow them in

i like to have them in the light and (most importantly) moving when i turn the scan light off
Old 12-07-2017, 07:23 AM

Well at first my set up was sitting on stool with hand held light. I could scan just all around me when out in open field while on stand or walking in. My scope light on my 17HH has a switch located on the right side forearm . This worked fine until I found the flaws. Flaw 1: My arm got tired before I was done with my stand (some stands were 45mins) for coyotes. Flaw 2: The avg. field I hunt is about 125yds x 225yds. Some are larger but have knolls on more then one side and when sitting you can't see but a small portion at a time. Flaw 3: While walking in with caller hanging on one side of me, stool on other side, shooting sticks in one hand with hand held light, rifle in the other. I would spot a fox or a coyote, sometimes two. For me to set up shooting sticks, while trying to keep light on them, at the same time trying to get the rifle into the shooting sticks was a joke. I thought surely the fox/coyote would of died laughing. So I came up with a couple of great ideas. Oh ya I did this. 1st idea: I mounted the hand held light in a PVC pipe zipped tied to my hat, uncomfortable to say the least. It worked but I could not get in my scope without blinding me, so I had to turn my hat. Idea 2: I bought a camera tri-pod, mounted a piece of PVC pipe awesome, now I could spin my light in any direction and if I spotted something I would sit my rifle on top to have a stable rest. Flaw 1: Still had the problem of spotting fox or coyote and trying to set up tri-pod. Flaw 2: Every stool I bought was never high enough, which forced me to stand. Flaw 3: Setting it up making noise while trying to adjust for uneven ground/snow. Flaw 4: The weight of carrying everything. Now I have a night eyes headlamp, and still use a wicked scope light with button. I walk in with a fully extended Bi-pod. I have killed fox and coyote walking into stand. While on stand rifle sits in Bi-pod and I just have to turn my head. If I'm using shotgun I just take off the little shield. Flaw 1: Not as bright as hand held, so to id. something by actually seeing it pass 150yds. I have to use scope light. However this is also a plus. If I can fully see what it is I know its well in gun range. Flaw 2: Have to keep head light pointing around 10:00 so when I go into my scope I don't blind myself. But it makes turning to my right difficult without pivoting on the stool. However, it frees up my left hand for remote or to move Bi-pod. This set up has gotten me one shot kills from 10 yds. out to almost 200yds at night, and is the less cumbersome I have found. Overall, I think whatever set up you use there will be flaws and you just need to adjust for them because nothings perfect.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:26 AM

Good info from everyone thank you. I am glad to see my challenges others were having too. I also now use the headlamp and really like having both hands free. I also now stand and keep my rifle in the tripod rest but I see there is a bit of red light splashed onto the rifle as I scan. It isnít much thanks to my wicked scanpro halo shield. But I wonder how much of an issue the red light splash/reflection causes for an incoming animal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 12-07-2017, 08:14 PM

When I first started under the mentorship of Archer we were very careful of transition, splash on gear and selves........after many seasons we are no longer, that I can say, that paranoid about any of it anymore.....worry more about set up than anything else......and we are more successful than ever before when so paranoid about all the little stuff....
Old 12-07-2017, 10:25 PM

Great advice thank you xnavieordie. Iím just going to make the best setups and then just have more fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 12-08-2017, 05:31 AM

I think as long as your not lighting up your entire rig it's ok. One thing that has happened to me, that I'm not sure if I can ever fix ? A lot of places I hunt. I usually sit up against a brush line. Well every year I get a fox or three that manage to come out on say the left side of me while I'm scanning to my right. By the time I turn and spot him, he already spotted me and he's gone in a split second. If I turn my head any quicker scanning, I would probably fall off the stool LOL.