Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Varmint Hunting

Varmint Hunting Share your experiences, tips, techniques, and thoughts about varmint hunting here.

Old 11-25-2017, 05:50 PM

Default Kansas Coon Calling

This fall I have been very excited to get out and do some calling, especially after last season figuring out how to call raccoons. Earlier this fall while out scouting some spots to deer hunt I was able to locate some promising den trees.
2017-10-10_09-12-57 by Cookie1125, on Flickr
2017-10-10_09-02-54 by Cookie1125, on Flickr
I even found some that had inhabitants.
Screenshot_20171005-210253 by Cookie1125, on Flickr
I have mostly been focusing my efforts on deer hunting but with a busy schedule and just some of the worse luck, itís been a bust so far. So after an uneventful morning hunting, I hung a new stand and as I was driving home stopped at another spot with a den tree only about 100yds in so I decided on making a quick stand. After about 30sec of young raccoon distress, two poked their heads out of the same hole. Eventually both were sitting on the edge of the hole with the bigger of the two closest to me. I set the crosshairs on the middle of his chest and fired. He bucked back hitting the second one and fell forward out of the tree. The second one disappeared into the hole. I then switched sounds and the second one came back out and part way down the tree but behind some branches and not allowing me a shot. He then turned back into the hole to never be seen again.
2017-11-25_03-31-12 by Cookie1125, on Flickr
Itís great to be able to get out and call and to finally have some success especially with a very slow deer season.
Old 11-25-2017, 09:14 PM

Perseverance has once again paid off; haha; congrats on your success....Nice pics too!
Old 11-25-2017, 09:47 PM

Good going! Good luck on your deer hunts.
Old 11-25-2017, 10:39 PM

Good hunt, I have to get out there myself soon.
Congrats on the first of the season for you.
Old 11-26-2017, 10:13 AM

Well Done! I see you finally had a chance to get out....LOL.
Old 11-26-2017, 11:39 AM

Swiftone you definitely drove me too it with you post and pictures. So I put the rifle and call in the car so I could try some new places on the way home. Hopefully this little success will keep me from getting burnt out with bowhunting.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old 12-04-2017, 09:33 PM

On Saturday after having a close call deer hunting, I went back to the same area where I took the last raccoon from. This time I went quite a ways further into the area. At the first tree I called I had four raccoons respond from two other trees, both over 150 yards away and the three that offered shots were on the neighboring property so they got a pass. At the next tree I had one poke his head out but never exit the tree. On the last set that I called I set up between two different den trees. Right away I had one show up at the tree to my right and since he came from around the tree I made a quick shot without worry of him making it back to the hole. After a few minutes of watching out for the other tree I noticed movement from the first tree again. This one made it to the same spot as the first, I took aim, shot and down it went. It was a very fun trip and I saw a lot of raccoons, just wish the first three were about 40yards closer and they would have been on my side of the property line.
2017-12-03_06-11-01 by Cookie1125, on Flickr
The smaller of the two weighed in at 15lbs 11oz and the bigger weighed in at 22lbs 5oz, making for a long half mile walk back to the car.
Old 12-05-2017, 12:37 AM

Thanks for sharing your experiences. Great photos.
Old 12-09-2017, 05:05 PM

Today I had a father daughter day with my little girl. We made several stands and really tested her five year old attention span. She did a great job and on our last stand we finally had some luck. When we first got to the den tree I wanted to call I realized that I had left the remote to my Hellfire back at the car and we had to make a quick trip back to get it. Once we get the remote and returned to the tree we got settled in and I opened up with raccoon puppy distress. The call hadn’t been going 30sec when I notice movement at the first fork of the big den tree. She comes out of the hole and begins down the tree. As I am about to take my shot she turns and moves back up the tree. I can hear my daughters breathing pick up and in the corner of my eye I can tell she is struggling to hold still with excitement. The raccoon get above the hole that she came out of and I place the cross hairs on her back right between her shoulders. At the shot she rocks back and lands in the fork of the tree and I had to climb the tree to knock her out of the fork.
Though all this I thought I was getting some great video of the hunt, but after getting home I realize that I forgot to start the camera. But the memory of hunting with my little girl more than makes up for that.
2017-12-09_03-58-09 by Cookie1125, on Flickr
20171209_144819 by Cookie1125, on Flickr
The whole way out she wanted to try and carry it. This coon weighed in at 22lbs 3oz and it was all she could do to try and pick it up.
20171209_145731 by Cookie1125, on Flickr
Old 12-09-2017, 06:36 PM

Lol, cute kid. Nice hunt and thatís a toad of a coon for sure