Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Feline Hunting

Feline Hunting No, not the place for housecats. This is for the "other"cats, including bobcats and mountain lions (the BIG cats).

Old 01-22-2018, 12:13 AM

Default This one didnít mind being in the open

Watched this cat come out of a thicket and approach caller in the middle of a field. I finally took him at 200 yards, it had taken him 20+ minutes to come the 1st 200. I was wanting to make one more set before dark. Https://i.loli.net/2018/01/22/5a65679f72880.jpg
T/C Venture Predator .223
Burris Quest 4x12x40
Rem 1187 Super Mag turkey/Predator 20Ē brl

Last edited by T/CPredator; 01-22-2018 at 12:22 AM.
Old 01-22-2018, 03:47 PM

That takes patience to wait 'em out sometimes. WTG!
Old 01-22-2018, 05:33 PM

Nice job, what sound brought him in?
Old 01-23-2018, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurlucky View Post
Nice job, what sound brought him in?
Jackrabbit distress had been running about 20 mins when I glassed him standing in the thick stuff on the bank of a large irrigation ditch. I watched him for a while and then muted the caller but kept occasionally turning on the decoy. He then made his way toward the collar via the bank of the ditch until he got as close as he could without stepping into the open field. Then he suddenly made a dash of about 30 yards into the field straight at the decoy and dropped to his belly. I cracked up a sparrow/woodpecker distress at about 10 volume and that peaked his interest enough to get him up and moving enough to close the gap. Stopped again at just a tad over two hundred yards, set down and didnít move. He was directly facing me with the call not quite halfway between us. Put the crosshairs on his nose and put a little hole right in the white spot on the front of his throat.
Burris Quest 4x12x40
Old 01-23-2018, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasel View Post
That takes patience to wait 'em out sometimes. WTG!
Well I would have kept working him closer but i wanted to make another stand so I took it as a sign to shoot when the wind took a sudden break. I doubt he ever heard the gun.

The next stand tried my patients when a coyote popped out about 500 yards across a big crop field after I made a few female howls. He came out, watched awhile then laid down. Fired up some Jack rabbit distress and he popped up and headed my way then just stopped and laid back down. Went to baby cotton tail and he got up and started my way again but suddenly something got his attention and he turned and headed back. One load bark stopped him and he was 350 looking left to right. I had a strong cross wind blowing left to right and almost didnt try the shot. But a quick guestimation told me to hold directly on top of his back hip. Squeezed one of and just as and what seemed like seconds passed I heard the big thump and he rolled up dead right there. 53 grain Vmax made a small hole right in his front rib and exited about 4 ribs back.

Iíve been hunting in the thickets all season and just got permission to hunt a large bottom full of crop fields, hay meadows, and cow pastures. Both of these were by far the longest shots Iíve made with the new AR and I couldnít be more pleased with its performance.

I ordered a the Leupold CDS dial for the 53 grain Vmax ammo. I hope it performs as advertised. Still waiting on it to be delivered.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 149FF040-3296-470F-9DC6-602E4A51DEBF.jpg (16.3 KB, 17 views)
Burris Quest 4x12x40
Old 01-23-2018, 08:49 AM

I certainly appreciate the details of your posts. Sounds like that rifle of your's is a really accurate little gun, don't normally get shots at that range around these parts. Where are you located/hunting TC?

I have several types of shooting stix and about three sets of different kinds of Bog Pods, but that one in your picture is by far my favorite to use. Sitting down low on the ground with my back against a tree or something solid shooting at a 45 degree angle off to my left in those sticks is almost like being in the bags.

I was once told that a cat will always try to get as close to the decoy as he can while still remaining under cover before he finally commits and comes out.

THANKS FOR SHARING