Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Coyote Hunting

Coyote Hunting Canis latrans. Ky'ote. Ky'otee. Whatever you want to call it, it's one of the most popular predators hunted in the world today.

Old 02-20-2018, 09:48 AM
Default Coyotes Replying

Went out a couple nights ago around 4:30 in a corn field overlooking a thick creek bottom/draw. Let out a couple howls, wait a minute or two, do some female submission, wait a minute, and then do some coyote pup distress. Around the 6 minutes mark I have a yote down in the draw howl twice back at me. I wait a couple minutes and then do a reply howl, to which then not one, but three different yotes start howling and barking back at me in broad daylight.

So this goes on for half hour - 45 minutes where I'll howl/bark and then a couple minutes later, they reply. They never did come out to play however. They were maybe 300 yards from me. I guess what I'm asking is what would do some of you pro's do when this situation occurs? Was it best for me to keep calling back and forth? Any advice PLEASE! Thank you!
Old 02-20-2018, 11:51 AM

Great question. I have several places where they vocalize but ,hold up. I wrote it off as educated dogs and never go back to try anymore.
Would also like to know what a guy should do?
Howa 22-250
Vortex Optics
Old FoxPro Crossfire
Droppin The Dumb Ones !
Old 02-20-2018, 03:00 PM
FOXPRO Field Staff

As a friend of mine has said for many years...

"Only the yappers know, and they ain't talking".

Old 02-20-2018, 04:46 PM

Had a very similar situation happen to me 3 weeks ago. Used howls, and different distress sounds on and off for over an hour at which they responded 3 different times but never would break and it finally got dark. Was very patient between calls as to not over do it. I'm pretty positive they didn't see us approach the set nor smelled us. So any ideas on getting them to break would be helpful.
Old 02-20-2018, 10:29 PM

Try again another day.