Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Predator Hunting

Predator Hunting It's open season on predator discussions! Questions, stories, tips, and techniques are all fair game.

Old 12-27-2019, 11:53 PM

Default Ideal volume on Ecall

Hi there,

I use a HellFire with both FoxPro library sounds & my own sequences. I work on the principle that a sound is too loud if I can hear echos. If I play 2 sounds at the same level as indicated on the remote controller, they may differ in volume out the speaker.

What have others done to avoid a sound coming out too loud? I'm thinking to play every sound & decide on the maximum volume I would like, then keep a written list. An alternative is to re-engineer each sound, then re-load to the caller, so that say a level 10 on the remote controller has the same decibels coming out the speaker for all sounds.

Best Regards.
Old 12-28-2019, 06:37 PM

You could program your two favorite sounds into the presets at the volume you prefer. You could also mute the caller when starting sounds and ramp up the volume to the level you want. Another option would be to use a sound editing program to combine sounds and control the volume before loading them onto your caller.
Old 12-29-2019, 08:31 AM
FOXPRO Field Staff

Weasel is giving good advice about a sound editing program. Goldwave comes to mind as a really good one. Personally, I don't see putting so much emphasis on getting sounds to play at the same volume level. Animals in distress don't scream at the same level. For instance, a grey fox in distress is much louder than a squirrel in distress. Setting up your presets at the volume of your choice is about as efficient as you can get for your purpose.
Old 12-31-2019, 01:01 AM

I have seen way more animals run in towards very loud sounds than I have seen run away from very loud sounds.

Every coyote sound I use is on full blast volume 40.

I will start out with distress sounds that are not very loud for a bout 3 to 5 minutes before I switch to louder distress sounds. After calling for 10 to 12 minutes I will switch to the louder sounds and end up playing one of them for 30 seconds to a minute on full blast and then turn the volume back down to about volume 30.

Quite often within 2 to 4 minutes after playing the sound on full blast a coyote will show up. Not all of the animals out there are in a perfect spot to hear your sounds all the time.

Deer and coyotes have very good hearing but I drive up on both deer and coyotes quite often without them hearing my vehicle.

I call against the breeze or wind most of the time so I want to get my sounds out there so more animals can hear it.

I do have almost all of my distress pre-set and favorite sounds starting out at mid volume so when I start or switch sounds they don't start out on full volume.

Last edited by derbyacresbob; 12-31-2019 at 01:04 AM.
Old 01-05-2020, 07:58 AM

That sounds like the right idea to re-edit the sounds. I use the program Audacity.

I've not had any predators come to a call if it's loud enough that I can hear the echo coming back.
Old 01-05-2020, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbyacresbob View Post
I have seen way more animals run in towards very loud sounds than I have seen run away from very loud sounds.

Every coyote sound I use is on full blast volume 40.
40????? Wow which caller do you have? Max on my Firestorm is 20 and sometimes is what I figure not enough to reach around the bend in the road.
Sako Forester 22-250 55 Gr Sierra Spitzer Boattails
Browning A Bolt 30-06 tack driver
Remington Model 600 Mohawk 243 100 gr Gamekings
Old 01-06-2020, 01:40 PM

I think he is referring to the shockwave. That is my max. volume on mine....