www.gofoxpro.com

Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Predator Hunting

Predator Hunting It's open season on predator discussions! Questions, stories, tips, and techniques are all fair game.

Old 02-11-2016, 02:57 AM

Unhappy Please help! Coyotes howling but not coming in.

I have been hunting coyotes in utah off and on now. I've killed 2.

I would say 80% of my stands I hear coyotes howl to me about 1.5 miles or closer to me.... I start my sequences with a male or female lone howl. I have multiple coyotes howl in different directions. I HAVE NOT HAD ONE COME IN! I watch the down wind of my ecaller from a cross wind from an elevated position. Or I will have my call close to me (50yds) and I am facing downwind.

My sequence is usually a male or female coyote howl, distress call(jack,cotton tail, chicken, wood pecker, etc) then I would do pup distress. Before I leave a stand I would to one more set of howls. I sit 15-20min.

WHAT I'M I DOING WRONG?
Old 02-11-2016, 05:44 PM

I personally never start a stand with howls anymore. I know, I know....all the cool kids do it on the TV and videos, but it has never worked for me the limited times I tried it.

I always start with some form of distress sounds...rabbit, bird, goat, etc. and then end it with pup distress sounds. This has worked very well for me.

Everyone has their own way of doing things and what works well for one person may not work well for another.

There are so many variables in setting up a stand as well. This is something you might want to focus on as well.
I know it took me a awhile to figure things out. And guess what? After years of doing this, I am still learning.

Hang in there. I am sure more knowledgable folks will chime in with pointers.
Old 02-11-2016, 06:00 PM

sometimes they just don't come in. just keep trying.
Old 02-11-2016, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old cat View Post
sometimes they just don't come in. just keep trying.
Welcome to the site. Old Cat is right on. It doesn't sound like you are doing anything wrong, but there "might" be some other things to try. You might try moving on the coyotes if you are hunting an area with enough cover to not be seen doing it.
Old 02-12-2016, 09:35 PM

Maybe not staying long enough on stand it is middle of winter? I'm from WI. N tend to stay on stand 45 min. To hr, also if you can move in undetected I've done this n they already know a yote is in area from your howls when I move in I just use distress if they come its usually been real quick.

Tags
beginner, call, mistakes, newbie, tips