Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Night Hunting

Night Hunting If you're afraid of the dark, this might not be the right forum for you. If not, turn off your light and share your stories, post your photos, and ask away.

Old 01-12-2018, 10:46 AM

Default Deer Stand Coyote

My hunting buddy couldn't go Tuesday night, so I went up to our hunting club and called from my deer stand. Played various distress calls and nothing.

Then I did a few lone howls and nothing. Finally I went to Coyote Group Yip Howls and got a response from a good ways off (several it sounded like). Then I played fawn distress to make them think the coyotes had caught a deer. Then I switched to Female Challenge, and out pops a female coming to the call. She hung up about 250 yds. out. I think she ran across a mouse and then was marking her territory.

So then I softened down the female challenge a little and played it again. That sort of got her interest back up, but she was just standing and looking. Probably trying to figure out where the challenger was. So I went to Babe Cottontail and here she comes. I let her get to about 100 yds. and whacked her. Slow motion shows I keep blowing pieces off these coyotes. 6x45 with 55 Nosler BT at 3,400 fps doesn't seem like it would be hitting that hard.

Here's the video taken from my Pulsar Apex XD50A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkyIM3NNT0M

Last edited by DoubleUp; 01-12-2018 at 05:51 PM.
Old 01-12-2018, 06:30 PM

Congrats, were those dogs in the back?
Old 01-12-2018, 09:09 PM

No, they were deer. Four deer had come out before I started calling. When the coyotes answered back two of them spooked and went back in the woods. Then when the female came out to the challenge howl, they immediately started moving away putting distance between themselves and the coyote.
Old 01-13-2018, 08:21 AM

Thanks. Congrats again.