Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Firearms and Loads

Firearms and Loads A forum dedicated to weapons and loads of choice.

Old 01-08-2018, 01:35 PM

Default Cold Temps and Rifle POI

Fellas,

Just wanted to hear your opinions on when one should look at re-sighting in a rifle. How many temperature degree difference before you start to worry about missing coyotes due to your POI being off.

I was at a local gun shop on the weekend and a guy mentioned he sighted in his rifle when temps where 50 degrees or so, and wasn't even hitting paper now that we are approaching 0 degrees outside with the coldspell we are having...what are your thoughts...
Old 01-08-2018, 07:44 PM
FOXPRO Field Staff

I always shoot on a regular basis to make sure nothing has changed. This is especially true when real cold temperatures show up. I have never seen the kind of difference you are describing here, but that is covering just my experience. It just proves that it makes sense to shoot regularly.
Old 01-08-2018, 09:28 PM

When shooting a .223 in very cold temps I expect a 1.5 - 2.0 inch drop @ 100 yards.
But not hitting paper.... sounds like shooter error to me.

Last edited by DogFool; 01-08-2018 at 09:31 PM.
Old 01-08-2018, 10:52 PM

I don't think there is that much difference between shooting cold or warm...maybe a couple inches max at a 100yds.....not being to hit paper sounds like possible dropped/bumped scope.
Old 01-09-2018, 10:08 AM

couple inches at 100 is pretty substantial at 200. Some calibers especially the hornets because of lack of case fill I believe are more effected than others. my 204s very little difference. my 17 hornet was a different story. I check my zero throughout the season for this reason
Old 01-09-2018, 01:39 PM

thanks for the feedback guys, I was under the impression that it would not be affected as much as I heard at the gun shop and I thought Id ask... I do check my zero throughout the year and never found the temps to affect it by more than an inch or so...
Old 01-09-2018, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan the man View Post
couple inches at 100 is pretty substantial at 200. Some calibers especially the hornets because of lack of case fill I believe are more effected than others. my 204s very little difference. my 17 hornet was a different story. I check my zero throughout the season for this reason
Funny you should say. I read this message this morning , and before I answered I wanted to go out and fire a few rounds. I took my stool, bipods, range finder. Temp 27, Hum 67,Press 30.6 Well I went out in the back field and laid 2 empty 12oz. sprite cans on their side. This was done because we had an W 8 MPH. I used my range finder and had 1 can at 102yds. and the other at 143 yds. I would of went farther but due to snow and a bad hip it's tough. Anyway, I fired 2 shots at the first can and one at the second. 1st can, 1 1/2inches to the right 3/4 inches high. 2nd can 1 3/4 to the right dead on. I was a little concern because it felt like there wasn't that much wind. So, I took one can and laid it down and range it at 88yds. Fired 2 shot, touching exited same hole, 3/4 inch high 1 1/2inch right. I found no difference other then wind effect.
Old 01-09-2018, 06:34 PM
FOXPRO Field Staff

Missing paper ain't temperature.

- DAA
Old 01-10-2018, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan the man View Post
HEY!.....where you been?.......are we gonna see you at check-in this year?

My 17 Hornet was same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Eyes View Post
Funny you should say. I read this message this morning , and before I answered I wanted to go out and fire a few rounds. I took my stool, bipods, range finder. Temp 27, Hum 67,Press 30.6 Well I went out in the back field and laid 2 empty 12oz. sprite cans on their side. This was done because we had an W 8 MPH. I used my range finder and had 1 can at 102yds. and the other at 143 yds. I would of went farther but due to snow and a bad hip it's tough. Anyway, I fired 2 shots at the first can and one at the second. 1st can, 1 1/2inches to the right 3/4 inches high. 2nd can 1 3/4 to the right dead on. I was a little concern because it felt like there wasn't that much wind. So, I took one can and laid it down and range it at 88yds. Fired 2 shot, touching exited same hole, 3/4 inch high 1 1/2inch right. I found no difference other then wind effect.
Cold air does have an effect on trajectory at long distance, just as extreme heat and humidity does.....but the bigger issue is when the equipment, most especially the round (propellant specifically both case and primer) has been subjected to frigid temps. Smaller the round, more effect. A couple times being out all night I know my 17 Hornet was different at the last stand....it even sounded different, weaker. Same for hearing another's 17WSSM.

The military (Army Ordnance Dept) learned a ton about this issue during the Battle of The Buldge and started researching propellants that were not as sensitive to temps. Korea led to more research......as did Vietnam....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAA View Post
Missing paper ain't temperature.

- DAA
Agreed!

Last edited by XNAVYORDIE; 01-11-2018 at 06:28 AM.
Old 01-11-2018, 10:14 AM

Well that must be it. I don't go out if its colder then -10. and or if the wind is over 15MPH. Not to mention I'm only on stand 30 mins. before going somewhere else. Calling at night usually the shots are under 200yds. so its really not long distance. However If I planed to go out in stronger winds, colder temps, or shooting over 200yds. I would either take my shotgun or my 243. depending if I hunting open fields or woods. Other then that, I have never had a problem with my reloads puffing, or my POI being more then 3 inches off. For fox, coyote and deer this is more then acceptable to me. In regards to trajectory, wind, angle of wind, temp, hum, altitude, press. are all factors YOU should know. You should also know what the bullet is design to do upon impact, as well as the anatomy of the animal. Bottom line YOU should know your weapon, knowing your POI at various ranges in the conditions in which you hunt, "especially if you reload". Furthermore if YOU as a shooter are not sure you can make the shot, then don't take it. Hail Mary are for church or football.