Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Predator Hunting

Predator Hunting It's open season on predator discussions! Questions, stories, tips, and techniques are all fair game.

Old 12-31-2017, 08:49 PM

Thanks Night Eyes, I certainly agree with you about them being the ultimate in predator trophies. Tough to hunt them, you had better do your homework first.

Thanks for your comments, I appreciate them from you.

R/Sonny
Old 01-02-2018, 10:58 AM

Thank you. MN Bobcat Hunter nailed three, what a rush that must of been. Photog took some awesome pictures. Over the years I have seen some gorgeous Bobcats go thru the fur auction at over $1200.00 each. The color and patterns unbelievable. Your also right about trying to obtain information about them. In my opinion part of the problem is you can not market them like fox & coyotes. From a calling point of view how many movies, seminars, books, calls etc. target Bobcat. Now take a look at fox and coyotes. From guns to calls to books. Mr. Smith will go out call in a fox or coyote blow the snot out of it because its his job is show you that you can do it and he will show you for a $$$. Cats don't play by those rules on any level. A hand call, .22 or shotgun, is all that is needed not much market there. BUT you have to find them and with some luck you may get them to respond. Bobcats are not as predictable as fox and coyotes, this is why I feel they are the ultimate trophy and anyone that targets and succeeds at taking a cat deserves a freaking pat on the back. I mean no disrespect to any predator hunter, author, or business out there. Sonny I hope you have the funds to either mount him or at least make a wall hanging. Thanks again for sharing.
Old 01-02-2018, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Eyes View Post
Sonny I hope you have the funds to either mount him or at least make a wall hanging. Thanks again for sharing.
Trust me, he went straight to my Taxidermist the very next day and not just any taxidermist but one that has proven he is worthy of the task of a full body mount.
Old 01-10-2018, 04:11 PM

Don't be afraid to crank up your FoxPro volume sometime during your bobcat calling stands. I have had many bobcats come in right up to my FoxPro with the volume on full blast.
IMG_1688 by Robert Morris, on Flickr
The above bobcat ran right up to about 20 yards away from my FoxPro when I was playing Prairie Dog Distress on around volume 30. The bobcat laid down and wasn't moving so I went with Vole Squeaks and some bird sounds at lower volume to try and coax the bobcat in closer. I wasn't going to shoot it, I was trying to call in a coyote before I went deer hunting that day.

So since the bobcat didn't want to come any closer I switched to Lightning Jack on full blast to try and call in a coyote. As soon as my FoxPro went to full blast playing Lightning Jack the bobcat got up and walked right up to my FoxPro.

So don't be afraid to crank up the volume to full blast for a short period of time on every stand you make for coyotes and bobcats.

IMG_4810 - Copy by Robert Morris, on Flickr
IMG_4816 - Copy by Robert Morris, on Flickr
IMG_4830 by Robert Morris, on Flickr
IMG_4837 by Robert Morris, on Flickr
The above pictures are of the bobcat that looked right at me and walked up to about 15 ft away from me about a month ago.

I have had good luck when I put the decoy right up next to my FoxPro callers. I want the bobcats and coyotes to think the sound is coming from the moving decoy.

If the decoy is away from the sound that will give the bobcats and coyotes two things to think about instead of one thing to think about.
Old 01-10-2018, 04:23 PM
FOXPRO Field Staff

Great pictures, Bob. Thank for posting.
Old 01-10-2018, 10:37 PM

Those pics just made my day
Old 01-11-2018, 07:38 AM

Awesome pictures!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 02-04-2018, 10:05 PM

I kinda enjoy calling them myself.

16ED7330-A775-4D90-9DCB-CD54DAB4B552.jpg

0AA72DCA-211E-4A01-B31A-FA79882DDC98.jpg
T/C Venture Predator .223
Burris Quest 4x12x40
Rem 1187 Super Mag turkey/Predator 20 brl
Old 02-05-2018, 10:50 AM

Wish we could hunt bobcats here in indiana. Their numbers do seem to be on the rise and from the sound of it a limited season is in the future

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 02-05-2018, 08:54 PM

I agree 100% on using a decoy! I posted something that happened to me a few weeks ago in the coyote section(probably in the wrong place) and I can say that I'm positive it wouldn't have gone down like it did with out the decoy. Don't leave home without it!!