Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Big Game Hunting

Big Game Hunting Share your experiences, tips, techniques, and thoughts about big game hunting here. Deer, Elk, Moose, Bear, Bigfoot, or whatever else we may have missed.

Old 07-19-2011, 11:28 PM

Default How many 140 + whitetails seen

As I sit here, I am watching Drury Outdoors Working Man Dream Season. In my entire life of central Illinois deer hunting I have killed with a bow, the two largest and oldest deer I have ever seen in aprox. 26 of hunting. These 2 deer, a 9 and an 8 point, which I killed in 09 and 2010 scored 135 ish. I guess I should score them, but I don't worry about it because I have never seen anything bigger so why does it matter. I believe one was 4 or older as he had a large pot belly and the second maybe only 3 years old. The last few years I have really upped my hunting and I am very methodical and hunt almost everyday up to and through the gun seasons. It has paid off, and I do see more bucks now than I did when I was less methodical. I have some bigger deer on game camera, but I have never seen them during the day in the season. I have a couple other nice bow kills and some I would of let walk now that I have seen and harvested larger deer. This brings me to my question. How many 140 inch plus deer do you other hunters see when hunting? Man its hot out!!
Old 07-20-2011, 08:27 AM

this is what ill be chasing this year
Attached Images
File Type: jpg capple east july 18 013.jpg (90.0 KB, 83 views)
Old 07-20-2011, 05:03 PM

Good luck, furbuster. Don't forget the camera.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:50 PM

http://[URL=http://s215.photobucket.com/albums/cc130/bouswampdogger/?action=view&current=deerlick173.jpg][/URL]I will be trying for this one, but he is nocturnal.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:03 PM

sorry about the pic , i'm not good at posting them.
Old 10-13-2011, 02:01 PM

I also hunt central Illinois and I have killed some dandies. However, I use my Fox Pro FX-5 a lot which is perfectly legal here in Illinois but some think I cheat. I tell them that they can go to the website and buy one too. If they don't then that means more deer for me. Saturday I saw a 10 pointer that will go 140. Last year I passed a 140 because I saw a 190's behind him and then didn't get a shot on him. It happens. Last year I also had a double drop 160+ inch whitetail bed down at 44 yards from me. Sure I could have shot him and probably made the shot but I could barely make out his body while he layed down so instead of trying to take the shot I let him go. 10 minutes later I had another high 180's low 190's walk in at 65 yards broadside in the open but up on the hill behind me. I passsed on taking the shot. Sometimes it is very hard to do and I have killed smaller deer instead because of the excitement of the hunt. Especially when you see a deer 6 to 800 yards away and you hit your Fox Pro and he comes running into you all the way across the field on a string. That makes a hunt exciting and although some of them are not monsters how exciting would that story be if you said all that and then let it walk. I try to kill only P & Y bucks but sometimes they fall a little short. This year has been the toughest deer hunting season for me. I usually have at least 3 deer down with my bow by the 3rd week of October and I haven't shot one yet. LOL We still have quite a few crops in and the temperature has been in the 80's. As soon as it drops and more crops come out the better it will get. Good Luck this season. Dan
Old 10-17-2011, 10:36 AM

Psycho, what sounds do you use when deer hunting and what time of the season do you use them? I would assume the volume level depends on the terrain. I can't imagine being able to draw in a deer from 600 yards out! I did call a big doe in this summer with fawn distress though. I was discussing using my Firestorm for deer hunting just this weekend with a friend. I think it would make the hunt a little more interesting. Thanks!
Old 10-17-2011, 01:11 PM

Psycho please give us some more info. I am wanting to use my Foxpro here in Louisiana for deer hunting but not real sure on what sounds to use etc. Any insights would be most helpful.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:16 AM

Guys to get you started here is a link to one of the articles I wrote when Fox Pro use to do the newsletters. Just make sure they are legal to use in your state. Here in Illinois we can use an electronic decoy or call for whitetails. I have more to add later for you all. Last year I called in some dandies. Yesterday I call 6 out of 8 Does to within 60 yards and then the dang wind swirled on me. The does were right at 296 yards when I started calling to them.

http://www.gofoxpro.com/fpnews/FPAugust2009.php?#6

Last edited by psycho; 10-18-2011 at 11:19 AM.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:42 PM

We have had about 6 really nice Bucks on our trail camera's this Summer and Fall,at least 4 of them should be in the 140-170 range,as You mentioned the wiser older Bucks are mostly nocturnal....but closer to the Rut they get careless and start chasing after the Doe's so there's always that chance a Hunter could be in the right place at the right time and score a very nice Buck?

I've been Deer Hunting for several years,got several nice 8 & 9-Point Bucks in the 100-125 range...finally scored me a very nice 11-Point Buck last year at Rifle Season that made the record books here in Missouri,I feel very lucky to have done that in my life time...now if I could just put down a real nice one with the Compound Bow?