Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Big Game Hunting

Big Game Hunting Share your experiences, tips, techniques, and thoughts about big game hunting here. Deer, Elk, Moose, Bear, Bigfoot, or whatever else we may have missed.

Old 10-02-2016, 06:04 PM

Default deer calling

In states where you can call for deer. how long do you run the caller for ?
Old 10-02-2016, 09:31 PM

No matter witch call I use I call about 5min then wait for at least 15min and have some good luck doing it this way. I hope some one can shed some better lite as to witch call and how long.
Old 10-03-2016, 09:38 AM

Thank you . must not be a lot who use callers for deer?
Old 10-03-2016, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico View Post
must not be a lot who use callers for deer?
I doubt that there are very many. In most states it is illegal for hunting purposes. I have called deer and elk a few times when I carried a camera and no gun or bow. I have had elk and deer show up almost as soon as I turned the call on and other times they showed up after 30 minutes or so of off and on calling. I don't have enough experience calling deer to give advice other than try it all. You'll figure out what works best for you where and when you hunt. One thing that has brought deer in on occasion is various rabbit in distress sounds. Jack rabbit in distress has been the best sound, but if I intend to call deer I will use fawn in distress.
Old 10-03-2016, 08:46 PM

Fawn in distress has worked for does and bucks for me....but I have to say I was predator hunting. I know during fall rifle season a rabbit distress call can cause a deer that is hid in its bed to fearfully jump up and expose themselves; but I wouldn't say they will come to that-seem more afraid of it. The fawn distress brought in both sexes during late spring and they seemed to come to the call with the intent of helping a fawn in distress...You will just have to go out and give it the ole' trial and error effort. Good luck and let us know how you do....
Old 10-03-2016, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preydeception View Post
I wouldn't say they will come to that-seem more afraid of it.

I will say they will come to it. I have seen it numerous times over the years. Remember Lance Adams (Crapshoot)? I remember a day he was blowing on a Jack Rabbit in distress call and darn near got stomped on. A coyote showed on the same stand and escaped unharmed. Another day more recently I had taken out a newbie for his first calling trip. Four deer charged us and he about crapped himself. In that case they blew past us at a high rate of speed. If I put my mind to it I can come up with quite a few times deer responded to rabbit in distress.
Old 10-03-2016, 11:43 PM

Thanks guys I'm going to give it a try. Here in New York he can hunt deer with a E-Caller.Bow season started October 1st
Old 10-04-2016, 03:21 PM

As several stated...while Calling Coyotes I have had Deer come in on several occasions....You can use a Can Call (Doe bleat or Doe in Estrous) or mouth calls during Deer Season in most States I have used Fawn Calls and the Buck Grunt Tube,even Horn Rattling works closer to the Rut.

Last edited by GTOHunter; 10-04-2016 at 09:07 PM.
Old 10-04-2016, 07:08 PM

Thanks Weasel for sharing your experiences; I am always learning something....sadly, many times now days it ends up being something I have forgotten....not this time though. I just haven't much experience with these specifics....hahah
Old 10-05-2016, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preydeception View Post
sadly, many times now days it ends up being something I have forgotten...

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I can't remember what I had for breakfast and I have the same thing every day.