Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Fox Hunting

Fox Hunting Near and dear to the FOXPRO Family. The place for all discussions specific to fox hunting, including stories, photos, techniques, and questions.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-28-2018, 06:43 PM
aschwab1234 aschwab1234 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 7
Default Finding hunting stands

Anyone have tips on using a map to find good potential hunting stands? What are some things you look for etc. ps Iím from pa


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-28-2018, 07:51 PM
Sliver's Avatar
Sliver Sliver is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 14
Default

I use onXhunt app. Shows updated aerial maps with property boundaries and owners
What part of PA


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-28-2018, 09:41 PM
Sonny Pruitt's Avatar
Sonny Pruitt Sonny Pruitt is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Hanover County, Virginia
Posts: 537
Default

Use an app that offers satellite views. Look for drainages, creeks, swamps, places where two different types of habitat are adjacent or at least near each other. Especially cutovers near mature hardwoods. It is tough to beat a cutover that has about five years of regrowth planted pines in it near a hardwood section. Try Scoutlook.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-29-2018, 12:59 AM
aschwab1234 aschwab1234 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 7
Default

Iím from NWPA


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-29-2018, 12:59 AM
aschwab1234 aschwab1234 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 7
Default

And thanks for the info sunny I will check it out


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-29-2018, 01:46 AM
gump gump is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 114
Default

Hunt stand also gives you a wind direction outlook, helps figuring out where your scent is going
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-29-2018, 10:40 AM
Sonny Pruitt's Avatar
Sonny Pruitt Sonny Pruitt is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Hanover County, Virginia
Posts: 537
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aschwab1234 View Post
And thanks for the info sunny I will check it out
There are several apps out there like the one I mentioned and others have their preferences like the one gump mentioned. I am not familiar with any of them except Scoutlook. It does pretty much the same as the one he was talking about, shows you what your scent cone will being doing where it is heading at different hours of the day. YOU can check it at 8:00 in the morning and see what the wind is expected to be doing 12 hours later in relation to where your scent cone will be heading from your setup.

I mentioned all those different habitats coming together being key. Simply put predators are creatures of the edge. The travel the edges of various ecosystems. Edge of a swamp, edge of a cutover, edge of a hardwood stand of timber. Largemouth bass are water predators, they are the same way. Edge of a lilypad field, edge of a drop off into deeper water, the surface is even an edge to them. Good luck
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-02-2018, 02:58 PM
Night Eyes Night Eyes is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 716
Default

What Sonny said.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-02-2018, 08:00 PM
spurlucky spurlucky is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 130
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny Pruitt View Post
There are several apps out there like the one I mentioned and others have their preferences like the one gump mentioned. I am not familiar with any of them except Scoutlook. It does pretty much the same as the one he was talking about, shows you what your scent cone will being doing where it is heading at different hours of the day. YOU can check it at 8:00 in the morning and see what the wind is expected to be doing 12 hours later in relation to where your scent cone will be heading from your setup.

I mentioned all those different habitats coming together being key. Simply put predators are creatures of the edge. The travel the edges of various ecosystems. Edge of a swamp, edge of a cutover, edge of a hardwood stand of timber. Largemouth bass are water predators, they are the same way. Edge of a lilypad field, edge of a drop off into deeper water, the surface is even an edge to them. Good luck
Great analogy Sonny. I'm a decent fisherman but would be starving if I lived on coyotes.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-04-2018, 11:15 AM
Mashal Mashal is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Iowa,Des Moines
Posts: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
I use onXhunt app. Shows updated aerial maps with property boundaries and owners
What part of PA


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Another voice for the onXhunt app
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skin by vBSkins.com
Customized for FOXPRO Inc.