Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Fox Hunting

Fox Hunting Near and dear to the FOXPRO Family. The place for all discussions specific to fox hunting, including stories, photos, techniques, and questions.

Old 01-28-2018, 06:43 PM

Default Finding hunting stands

Anyone have tips on using a map to find good potential hunting stands? What are some things you look for etc. ps Iím from pa

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-28-2018, 07:51 PM

I use onXhunt app. Shows updated aerial maps with property boundaries and owners
What part of PA

Old 01-28-2018, 09:41 PM

Use an app that offers satellite views. Look for drainages, creeks, swamps, places where two different types of habitat are adjacent or at least near each other. Especially cutovers near mature hardwoods. It is tough to beat a cutover that has about five years of regrowth planted pines in it near a hardwood section. Try Scoutlook.
Old 01-29-2018, 12:59 AM

Iím from NWPA

Old 01-29-2018, 12:59 AM

And thanks for the info sunny I will check it out

Old 01-29-2018, 01:46 AM

Hunt stand also gives you a wind direction outlook, helps figuring out where your scent is going
Old 01-29-2018, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aschwab1234 View Post
And thanks for the info sunny I will check it out
There are several apps out there like the one I mentioned and others have their preferences like the one gump mentioned. I am not familiar with any of them except Scoutlook. It does pretty much the same as the one he was talking about, shows you what your scent cone will being doing where it is heading at different hours of the day. YOU can check it at 8:00 in the morning and see what the wind is expected to be doing 12 hours later in relation to where your scent cone will be heading from your setup.

I mentioned all those different habitats coming together being key. Simply put predators are creatures of the edge. The travel the edges of various ecosystems. Edge of a swamp, edge of a cutover, edge of a hardwood stand of timber. Largemouth bass are water predators, they are the same way. Edge of a lilypad field, edge of a drop off into deeper water, the surface is even an edge to them. Good luck
Old 02-02-2018, 02:58 PM

What Sonny said.
Old 02-02-2018, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny Pruitt View Post
There are several apps out there like the one I mentioned and others have their preferences like the one gump mentioned. I am not familiar with any of them except Scoutlook. It does pretty much the same as the one he was talking about, shows you what your scent cone will being doing where it is heading at different hours of the day. YOU can check it at 8:00 in the morning and see what the wind is expected to be doing 12 hours later in relation to where your scent cone will be heading from your setup.

I mentioned all those different habitats coming together being key. Simply put predators are creatures of the edge. The travel the edges of various ecosystems. Edge of a swamp, edge of a cutover, edge of a hardwood stand of timber. Largemouth bass are water predators, they are the same way. Edge of a lilypad field, edge of a drop off into deeper water, the surface is even an edge to them. Good luck
Great analogy Sonny. I'm a decent fisherman but would be starving if I lived on coyotes.
Old 06-04-2018, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
I use onXhunt app. Shows updated aerial maps with property boundaries and owners
What part of PA

Another voice for the onXhunt app