Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Coyote Hunting

Coyote Hunting Canis latrans. Ky'ote. Ky'otee. Whatever you want to call it, it's one of the most popular predators hunted in the world today.

Old 02-19-2016, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa yote hunter View Post
That sounds like a classic warning bark. He knew you were there somehow.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk
its very possible he knew we were there. the field had old tobacco stalks all over. we tried our best to avoid them but in the dark we couldn't see them all and stepped on some on our way in. more than likely heard us coming in and knew better than to just run out to the call. hopefully soon the season will turn around. so far 2016 hasn't brought much luck.
Old 02-20-2016, 11:25 AM

Just a couple suggestions that might help. After entering your hunting area sit quietly for several minutes and let things calm down especially if making some noise going in. Always be as quiet as possible even when exiting so your not educating them.
Happy hunting !
Old 02-21-2016, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa.mick View Post
Just a couple suggestions that might help. After entering your hunting area sit quietly for several minutes and let things calm down especially if making some noise going in. Always be as quiet as possible even when exiting so your not educating them.
Happy hunting !
good advice. we could surly be more quiet on the exit.
Old 02-22-2016, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewgriffin17 View Post
Just curious to what some different ideas are on how to get a hung up dog to commit. Also how many times do you guys find yourself hearing coyotes respond to the call and never showing?

Kinda reminds me of the NC gobblers.
Lets say you play a lone female howl and a coyote howls off in the distance. Respond with C35 Fem Coyote Sub. There are no guarantees but this has worked occasionally for me. Also C00 Canine Pups 1, C01 Canine Pups 2, C27 Coy. Pup Distress 3, 210 Coyote Death Cry, and C22 Coy. Pup Screams worked on hung up dogs.
Old 02-22-2016, 10:59 PM

Here recently I've been having all my luck on howl.. I'll sneak into my set, give it a little cool down time, then I'll usually start with a female long howl, then reply to it with a male howl or coyote pair, then go to female submission. I've called in 4, in this last week with that sequence. Most of the time I won't ever hear any respond, but soon as they hear the submission they come charging in.
Old 02-23-2016, 04:57 PM

I hunt open areas, where often they hang up 350-500 yards out. I have a Decoy dog (Kemmer stock mountain cur), that saves the day often. As soon as they see her they forget about me, and concentrate on her. As soon as she smells or sees them she teases them into following her into range. Even after the coyote spots me, she is often able to lure them in. I almost lost her in Sept after she got parentitis from a ruptured intestine, after a fight with a cougar, but now she is back to work decoying coyotes.
Old 02-24-2016, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewgriffin17 View Post
Just curious to what some different ideas are on how to get a hung up dog to commit. Also how many times do you guys find yourself hearing coyotes respond to the call and never showing?

Kinda reminds me of the NC gobblers.
I went out the other night early around, 8:00. I used Female invite, Devil Hare, Pup Howls, Male Challenge, Female Whimpers. Had one show up 21 min. Before I could turn on scope light, gone, Caught my wind. Point is this coyote never made a sound. JUST because you don't hear them, does not mean they are not there.

Scenario: Male coyote travels into others territory looking to mate, but may not wish to challenge another, or Has been shot at when coming into what he thought was a good deal. Yeah, He may circle down wind. BUT, he will sneak in and from a secured location observe for awhile before committing. Just like a wised up TOM. I Had it happen multiple times and was fortunate to spot the coyote leaving when I walked out into the open to pick up my equip. The ones that answer you back and come right in are the easy ones, Just like Turkey. DON'T Ever think they are not their because they did not coming running right in or because they did not answer your call. Treat ever stand the same, stay for 45/60 mins, wait another 10/20min after calling look over the area thoroughly. Then leave. Question? How long would you wait for a trophy buck, or Turkey, Isn't a coyote a trophy? Coyotes don't do what you want, They do what they want.

This is my opinion, and what I have experienced hunting in NY
Old 02-24-2016, 12:41 PM

Thanks everyone I may have to buy some more sounds. I personally have used the fem. long howls 1 and 2 then coyote pair. then distress and finish with a coyote pup distress. I have called in 4 in about a year. But yet to draw blood this season. I have a tournament this weekend hopefully I can close the deal on a few yotes.
Old 02-24-2016, 11:00 PM

Sounds like warning barks to me also. But I've had coyotes howl n not come in, but they did it twice this wk from same spot so went at them with different wind and set up but I didn't howl cuz for past two days they were in same area at same time of day we slipped in and I just hand called rabbit had them come running in at 7 minutes. Also I've learned to switch up howls not just on ecaller, but I've even switched up hand calls cuz everyone has its own sound and pitch. I think they get used to same sound over n over. Even hand calls.
Old 02-26-2016, 12:39 PM

Called in two yotes last night on the property I started this post about. in less that 12 minutes. I used green gun mounted led, And the calling sequence Male long then coyote pair and there they showed.

Tags
ncyoteboys