Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Firearms and Loads

Firearms and Loads A forum dedicated to weapons and loads of choice.

Old 01-17-2018, 12:00 AM

This is why I try and do my load work in the summer. You tend to get higher pressures with your loads because of the heat. Once it cools off, I will check my zero and go hunt. Use a chronograph and shoot some loads in the hot summer and then check them again in the winter, you will get different velocity averages. If you work up a great load when it's cold, be careful once it warms up, you may have some serious pressure issues inside the chamber. I have heard that you can work up loads at "mid temps(say 60*) and it works in both hot and cold, but I just stick with Tennessee summer temps and check zero once it cools off. As for POI shift, I haven't seen enough for me to worry. It's usually an inch or less at 100yards.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolladay View Post
This is why I try and do my load work in the summer. You tend to get higher pressures with your loads because of the heat. Once it cools off, I will check my zero and go hunt. Use a chronograph and shoot some loads in the hot summer and then check them again in the winter, you will get different velocity averages. If you work up a great load when it's cold, be careful once it warms up, you may have some serious pressure issues inside the chamber. I have heard that you can work up loads at "mid temps(say 60*) and it works in both hot and cold, but I just stick with Tennessee summer temps and check zero once it cools off. As for POI shift, I haven't seen enough for me to worry. It's usually an inch or less at 100yards.
Your absolutely right. For summer I use nothing more then factory 20gr. V MAX
There's no need to reload for predators. I reload for predators and site in a batch of rounds for Oct. thru Dec. Starting in Jan, I reload again for the rest of the season and check my ballistics. My work usually slows down and I get bored so Ill go out on some F*** weather days just to shoot. Because of my setup its so easy to reload a batch at any time, I never reload more then 15 rounds. There's no need to have fifty rounds laying around from year to year. If I feel I need to increase my load by a grain or so I do. Like I said before for the conditions you hunt in.
Old 01-17-2018, 04:38 PM

Your powder choice will make a world of difference in how your loads react to temp changes. Do more research on that front. Mark