Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Coyote Hunting

Coyote Hunting Canis latrans. Ky'ote. Ky'otee. Whatever you want to call it, it's one of the most popular predators hunted in the world today.

Old 04-12-2019, 03:01 PM

Default Bucket list item checked off!

My brother and I had a great start to the weekend. Beautiful morning in the Sonoran Desert to get us going. We got there early and tried to locate but no luck. Not having had any luck with howling recently we decided to go with what we did to get Ray's first coyote a couple days ago and go straight into prey distress. However, one of the items on my bucket list was to call in a coyote with a hand call. Also, in getting some advice from Sonny whom many of you know on the forums we changed the way we set up, especially for the hand calls. Ray hung back about 75 yards while I walked straight into the wind and set up along a transition of more open desert and thick cactus, palo verde trees and brush, staying back about 40 yards from where the transition started. Tucked in, I began calling with Rick Paillet's Long Range Tweety (another great recommendation from Sonny I might add). I have to confess that both Sonny and Rick stumped me when it came to how to use the Tweety as both told me to just go wild on the thing as I was trying to make it sound like a rabbit in distress. In fact, I even called Rick and asked him what he was trying to sound like as he even sent me a video via my phone so I could see how he recommended using it. At the end he said he wasn't trying to sound like anything specific, just something in distress and dying. So this morning I gave up part way into the sit and finally quit trying to sound like a rabbit in distress and just kind of went crazy, trying to put some inflection and emotion into it like Rick and Sonny had both told me. My second series of calls, spaced about 2 minutes apart this beautiful little girl came sneaking in from downwind. Had my brother and I been sitting with our faces into the wind we would have never seen her and been busted for sure. Instead he caught her circling from the side and made a beautiful shot on her with his 223 bolt action savage and a vortex diamondback scope while I never saw her as I was sitting where I normally would have sat. I have to say, listening to Dr Sceery and Sonny and not blowing constantly on the hand call made a difference as well... at least today. By, spacing out the calls it made her work to try and figure out where I was calling from and being tucked into a bush she had a hard time finding me. In fact she never did. It worked really well. Because she wasn't quite sure where I was she came in cautiously giving my brother a nice shot. In speaking with both Dr. Sceery and Sonny they told me I was calling too much and I found it surprising hard to stop. But, at least this time, it worked great! And I have to say, I think Dr. Sceery gave me some sage advice when he said, "Make them work for it. You're giving them entirely too much information!" Anyway, I wanted to share this with you like the people I mentioned above shared with me. Sonny reminded me this morning that is what it's all about. I think he's right about that too! [IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Greyhunter; 04-12-2019 at 03:16 PM. Reason: poor typing and added a sentence to clarify
Old 04-12-2019, 07:47 PM

WTG!!!!! Congratulations, guys. Job well done.
Old 04-12-2019, 09:04 PM

Excellent job!! Thanks for sharing the hunt scenario, the setup and everything, it was almost like being there. Perfectly executed. In the past I've often said that there is alot of benefit to silence, in all forms. It causes them to slow down and begin searching for that distressed animal, giving you more and better shot opportunities. This applies not only to mouthcalls, but electronic callers as well. Most of the time, if an animal is coming in HOT, I will hit the mute button once the predator is in sight. Make him look for it. Byron South explains this very well in his Coming to the Call Vol II. He figured out I was not as fast of a shooter or as accurate as he was. We slowed things down so I had a chance of killing a coyote.

Keeping in mind there are no absolutes in calling, yes there are times where I call continuously.

Thanks again for sharing your hunt, hopefully it will help others as well.
Old 04-12-2019, 09:12 PM
FOXPRO Field Staff

Kudos to you and your brother on your success. Sharing a good hunting experience with someone you are close to is about as good as it gets. Thanks for posting.
Old 04-13-2019, 06:44 AM

Congrats to you both.
Old 04-13-2019, 03:23 PM

Thanks guys! And I'm happy to report this morning I actually filled another one of my coyote hunting bucket lists, to kill a coyote with my AR 15 (only got them with shotguns up till now) and to call in and take a coyote using a handcall solo and no decoy. My brother had to make a trip up north so I ended up hunting alone and thought I would give it a shot using the Long Range Tweety again since we've had so much success with it so far. It was a beautiful morning again. I actually video taped the area I was hunting in for you all but it doesn't look like I can upload it with Imgur. Anyway, this little gal came in at 20 yards at only 1 minute and 25 seconds into the stand on the Tweety. Maybe we just got lucky the last 4 days and managed to get on coyotes, but that little Long Range Tweety still got them in shooting range. Kudo's to Rick Paillet on a great call. Luckily I saw her out of the corner of my eye when she peered around the ocotillo at me I managed to hold still for a change. I swear, the way she cocked her head it was more like she came in out of curiosity than hunger, as if she knew that was a prey sound coming out of the tweety, but couldn't figure out what it was. I have to admit I felt the same way the first time I saw Rick blowing it...lol! Anyway, I was set up on a crosswind and when I wasn't moving she decided to try and get downwind of me. When she went behind a bunch of prickly pear behind me I shifted my position around, but drug the primos trigger stick just enough to where she busted me. She started to take off running and I lip squeaked. To my surprise I could see just enough of her to know she stopped and actually spun around and started circling back. I picked a small opening in the grass and brush I though she might come into and sure enough, she came in just enough to peek around for another look at me. Clean shot dropped her right there.

If you have only used ecallers then I really recommend trying a hand call. Especially without a decoy. It takes things to another level. But be ready as they can come in fast. Oh, and if you are going to try it without a decoy I would really recommend that you wait at least a couple of minutes between calls and don't call for more than 30 seconds. I made that mistake last night and the coyote came bounding out of the desert right at me. I tried to get the sticks over for a shot but he busted me immediately and blew out of there like someone had lit his tail on fire. Managed 2 shots on him but missed them both. The other two I was much more patient on and they actually were hunting for us. Much easier to get a shot when they are searching around and don't know exactly where you are. Still, don't kid yourself, they will know your general area well enough so you will have to be much more prepared than you would with an ecaller. Of course this doesn't really apply as much if you are hunting wide open spaces where you have more warning and time to adjust. One more tip. If you see them quit calling or they will just bust you and immediately see your hand moving on the hand caller. Just lip squeak and only if they are hung up. If they are hunting for you don't make a sound and only move if you have to in order to get in position for a shot. I'm no expert, but these are some of the lessons we've learned quickly in just a few weeks of using handcalls. I will also say that I'm finding whole new strategies I want to try using my shockwave with hand calls. For instance, I put vole squeak on my #2 preset. When the coyote comes in I'm going to have the decoy running on top already so he is drawn to the motion and then hit vole squeak so his attention is diverted away from me for a better shot. But for now I'm loving the hand calls. So fast and easy. I only give each stand 12 minutes as Dr Sceery's research showed the average coyote responds to a call within 5 to 8 minutes. Not saying I won't stay longer in a great area or during certain times of the year. But my thought is, and in speaking with Dr Sceery he confirmed, that at 12 minutes I can make a lot of stands and if I feel I'm leaving a stand too early, I can always come back to it at a later date and hunt it again if I haven't buggered them. I've only been doing this for a couple of weeks so that is most certainly not enough time to say this works, but Dr. Sceery hunted coyotes professionally and it was a method he employed very successfully. My brother and I went from not even seeing a coyote for 3 weeks to 4 this week with three on the ground. Needless to say we are kind of excited. I also want to say thanks to Possumal and weasel as in going back through some of his information they shared helped me a lot and continues to help. And thanks a ton to Sonny for introducing me to the Long Range Tweety. Whether or not I kill another coyote this year we've already done so much better than last year it has been a ton of fun and hopefully, God willing, I'll get to keep enjoying those early morning sunrises. All three of these men encouraged me in the beginning when it was a bit frustrating and I went 3 months and put in a lot of hours and hadn't killed my first coyote. We still haven't killed that many. But last year it was 1 coyote and 1 fox between the two of us. This year we have 7 coyotes and 12 fox, which for us anyways, puts a smile on our faces. If your new just want to encourage you not to give up. Enjoy the time in the coyote woods. Listen to the birds. Don't be in a rush to kill something. As Sonny says, watch and pay attention. Get to know the animal your hunting... and I would add enjoy the process. See it as a journey, an experience and not a competition. And as Possumal said above, give it time but find someone to hunt with. It's fun sharing those moments and well, coyote hunters are a lot like fishermen. Those stories just get better over time.

Sorry this is so long. Here is the star of the show.

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Greyhunter; 04-13-2019 at 03:39 PM. Reason: Added a little
Old 04-13-2019, 03:36 PM

That's freakin awesome! Success is following you.. Stay after them.
Old 04-13-2019, 04:20 PM

Thanks Sonny!
Old 04-14-2019, 06:03 AM

Congrats , nice shooting.
Old 04-14-2019, 08:37 AM

Nice read. Thanks for sharing. Congrats !