Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Predator Hunting

Predator Hunting It's open season on predator discussions! Questions, stories, tips, and techniques are all fair game.

Old 01-14-2019, 05:22 PM

Default Contest? Was it?

Despite my obvious jealousy and complete lack of ability to understand how it's possible...can anyone explain to me how these fellas from MD are able to kill 62 fox in a day and half to win the Easter US Predator calling championship?

Hey I'm not being a smart &^% I'm serious. I'd love to try these contests out some year but what is the point? Sure it would be fun for a little and to drive down to Wytheville VA to check in and see the piles of fur loading some guys truck beds but there isn't any chance of me killing more that a fox or three if I hunt up here where I am. Maybe I'd get a coyote...possibly. I see these cats use thermals and I've heard that that eastern shore area of Maryland is loaded with fox. WMU 5B, 4C, and 5C which are south eastern PA are also loaded with fox. My area of the state, WMU 5A harvested 3800 red fox last year while the Lancaster area report shows a harvest of almost 12,000 red fox. It's pretty clear some areas it's like shooting fish in a barrel.

I know that might upset some folks and I don't mean to I just get a little burnt knowing I guess I just live in a pretty dang poor area. Excuse...sure it is and I'm just jawing I realize. Being in an area where you can kill 62 fox in less that 36 hours seems ridiculous to me and I know that obviously these guys worked their butts off getting access and traveling and driving but still...62 fox in 36 hours???? doesn't seem like a contest if you ask me.

Sincerely,
jealous and a little peeved.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:07 PM

Come on down to check in this Sunday (Damascus MD) and ask them....Mike and Jeremy will be glad to tell you.

They have won our PHM tournament the last two years. Last year, the weekend after the Eastern they brought in 40 fox to our check in....I was the one who took that infamous pic of the fox stacked on their hitch haul that made a ruckus on the internet.

They have exclusive rights to an abundance of property on the Eastern Shore...which is highly populated with reds.

They will win this year most likely.....although there are some teams that will make a good run. The average is about 10-12 checked in per team. But if you have the amount of land and stamina needed to do it you can bring in a ton of fur...

What is the point? well it depends who you are. There are teams who have a TON of property, and run and gun every minute of the contest. They are in it for the killing, numbers and winnings. Some of these guys are sponsored....even Field Staff (Mike and Jeremy are FoxPro Field Staff).

Then there are those teams that do it because they enjoy the sport, being out there predator hunting, and they go into it knowing full well that they will not win 1st, 2nd or even 3rd. However....you can bring in one predator and still win Biggest, or Lightest of that category. Not to mention, there are awesome door prizes, raffles, and you meet a ton of fellow predator hunters at check in. It is fun to see everyone's piles and discuss rifles, calibers, calls, tactics, trucks.....one of my favorite things about check in is watching the rigs come in.....there more reasons to do these than just winning, at least the smaller contests like the PHM.

Last edited by XNAVYORDIE; 01-15-2019 at 07:09 AM.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:29 PM

Wow, that is a lot of fur..... wouldn't know what to do with a number like that.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fratri View Post
Wow, that is a lot of fur..... wouldn't know what to do with a number like that.
Make a Jacket.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Eyes View Post
Make a Jacket.
Thats exactly what happened last year at the PHM contest check in. Many don't want to keep their critters. One of the contestants was contracted to make coats for some beauty pageant (Miss Maryland?) and with permission looked at all the piles and hand selected certain ones. He went home with a full truck bed.

It's good to know that they don't go to waste, if you don't keep them yourself.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxerNOpro1966 View Post
Despite my obvious jealousy and complete lack of ability to understand how it's possible...can anyone explain to me how these fellas from MD are able to kill 62 fox in a day and half to win the Easter US Predator calling championship?

Hey I'm not being a smart &^% I'm serious. I'd love to try these contests out some year but what is the point? Sure it would be fun for a little and to drive down to Wytheville VA to check in and see the piles of fur loading some guys truck beds but there isn't any chance of me killing more that a fox or three if I hunt up here where I am. Maybe I'd get a coyote...possibly. I see these cats use thermals and I've heard that that eastern shore area of Maryland is loaded with fox. WMU 5B, 4C, and 5C which are south eastern PA are also loaded with fox. My area of the state, WMU 5A harvested 3800 red fox last year while the Lancaster area report shows a harvest of almost 12,000 red fox. It's pretty clear some areas it's like shooting fish in a barrel.

I know that might upset some folks and I don't mean to I just get a little burnt knowing I guess I just live in a pretty dang poor area. Excuse...sure it is and I'm just jawing I realize. Being in an area where you can kill 62 fox in less that 36 hours seems ridiculous to me and I know that obviously these guys worked their butts off getting access and traveling and driving but still...62 fox in 36 hours???? doesn't seem like a contest if you ask me.

Sincerely,
jealous and a little peeved.
YOU'RE AN HONEST MAN FoxerNopro. You said how you felt. I admire that. I live in Va and do quite a bit of calling with a partner of mine. We are about five hours from Wytheville, We didn't enter but he drove down to the check in just to participate in the things that Navy mentioned in his post above, shooting the bull with his peer group, gaining insight on subject matter, etc. I would have gone with him but had prior commitments. I don't compete at much anymore, used to fish competitively for Bass, and did pretty well. I just do things now for my own enjoyment. I do envy those guys who have high numbers of predators at the checkin. It must be great to have properties that produce that way. Hope they don't over do it, I think to myself that I might be a little more conservative but enjoy it just as much. But I wasn't trying to win $10K either. We all have different reasons for doing what we do. Hope you enjoy your hunting as much as I do mine, and I am sure you do.

Take care
Sonny P
Old 01-15-2019, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny Pruitt View Post
YOU'RE AN HONEST MAN FoxerNopro. You said how you felt. I admire that. I live in Va and do quite a bit of calling with a partner of mine. We are about five hours from Wytheville, We didn't enter but he drove down to the check in just to participate in the things that Navy mentioned in his post above, shooting the bull with his peer group, gaining insight on subject matter, etc. I would have gone with him but had prior commitments. I don't compete at much anymore, used to fish competitively for Bass, and did pretty well. I just do things now for my own enjoyment. I do envy those guys who have high numbers of predators at the checkin. It must be great to have properties that produce that way. Hope they don't over do it, I think to myself that I might be a little more conservative but enjoy it just as much. But I wasn't trying to win $10K either. We all have different reasons for doing what we do. Hope you enjoy your hunting as much as I do mine, and I am sure you do.

Take care
Sonny P
Agreed on FNP66 Sonny.

I used to live in Wytheville. Wish I still did. Great hunting and fishing, good small town folks.

Dang Sonny yet another thing you and I have in common. I used to do tournament bass fishing also. I was in a club called WESTMAR BASSMASTERS. Started informal for fun....I was always teamed with the guy who got me into it. It was fun travelling all over different states/lakes (MD, VA, PA mostly). He had a decent boat, for what we did. But then he became ill with it....we started going to bigger tournaments. My rod/reel/lure collection grew gigantic...out of control as my (ex-wife now) said. Suddenly it was a mad dash to the "good spots"....had to beat the others. He complained his boat wasn't good enough or fast enough.....so he bought a bigger one with lots of horses...I lived through a lot in the Navy but I was damn sure I was going to die on the lower Potomac one day racing to the weigh in....it wasn't fun anymore. The biggest tournament we entered I won "lunker" and had my picture in Bassmaster Magazine.....I didn't look happy because I wasn't....it was not fun anymore.

The same applies for Predator Contests......sure winning is great and all that, but it's a different mindset and lifestyle if all you do is gear up for running and gunning and not having fun (in my opinion). Is it impressive that some can stay awake and hunt a ton of properties every second from start to finish? I guess.....but just like a good Maduro cigar matched to the perfect pour of bourbon, I'd rather take my time and enjoy it.....

At ease and carry on!.....; )

Last edited by XNAVYORDIE; 01-15-2019 at 05:38 PM.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:48 PM

As I read your post, I remembered those feelings you mentioned. It really got to the point that it was stressfilled (if that's a word). I no longer enjoyed throwing an AC Shiner jerkbait into a stump row and twitching and snapping it along 6inches under the surface, it ain't supposed to be like that. Have fun, or dont do it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 01-15-2019, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny Pruitt View Post
As I read your post, I remembered those feelings you mentioned. It really got to the point that it was stressfilled (if that's a word). I no longer enjoyed throwing an AC Shiner jerkbait into a stump row and twitching and snapping it along 6inches under the surface, it ain't supposed to be like that. Have fun, or dont do it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I used to get almost emotional sitting on the water before sunrise at the start of a tournament, hearing all motors idling and seeing all the light poles lit, waiting for the horn....it was like trying to get the "hole shot" in motocross...but then I dreaded it.....just meant several hours of casting a dozen time from fore/aft, almost frantically, then throwing gear down and blasting off to another spot to do it all over again, over and over and over, pushing the time limit until weigh in......and flying on top of the water to weigh in like a death run.....stress yes....fun no....

I know I have a few All Star and St Croix rods with Shimano Curado baitcasters attached sitting on the bottom of Lake Anna, and the lower Potomac....and we think our rifles/scopes/calls are expensive?
Old 01-30-2019, 09:20 PM

This is why I fish from a kayak, slow and steady