Go Back   FOXPRO Forums > Hunting > Predator Hunting

Predator Hunting It's open season on predator discussions! Questions, stories, tips, and techniques are all fair game.

Old 12-03-2018, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAA View Post

In my area, red fox are almost more of a city creature than a creature of the wild. I've seen way more of them in my neighborhood and in random places around town than I have seen out in the wild where the coyotes are.

- DAA
Zachary what I said, only different. Thanks DAA for backing me up, it is true.
Old 12-03-2018, 04:42 PM

An old trapper once told me that red foxes were more prone to getting killed by coyotes than grays. He said the grays were adapt tree climbers unlike the reds so weren't as easy to catch. It does seem like I see far more grays as compared to reds since the coyote population exploded.
Old 12-04-2018, 02:58 PM
FOXPRO Field Staff

I was told the same thing by one of the best trappers who ever lived in central Ky.. I have seen grey foxes way up in trees, but have never seen a red fox do that. Also, the grey fox can get back into narrow crevices, etc., where a red can't get. The coyotes will not tolerate the red fox, and they will kill every one they can. I am not saying that coyote will never eat a red fox, but I have never seen evidence that this was done. If they can ever catch a grey fox, they evidently consider it a delicacy, perhaps because he is hard to catch.
Old 12-08-2018, 08:09 AM

There are alot of reds in my area.Just in the last year we have seen and heard a lot of yotes as well. I haven't seen a decline in the reds yet but give it a year or two and maybe they will clean house on the reds. Hope not.
Old 12-11-2018, 11:46 AM

All 3 species can and do live in the same habitat with boundary limitations. Grays prefer swamps, brush, orchards etc. Their body size and coarser hair allow them to slip thru thicker habitat then the other two, Home range usually less then 1/2mile and as little as a few hundred acres. Their toe nails are more curved like a cat then a dog and defiantly climb trees sloping in nature. Reds prefer more open terrain, though they enter brush in pursuit of their quarry or to escape, their hair is softer and tend to be subject more to burdocks and such. Their home range is about 5 miles. Of the 3 species The red is most timid and learns quickly. If a gray and a red were to fight the gray will win. Trapping grays are easier due to their boldness, they fear very little including humane odor. If you miss a gray whether by trapping or calling, you can still get the next night. Not so with reds. It can be done, but it is a challenge that most will fail at. Coyotes home range is close to 20 miles. Their larger size and longer legs gives them the edge for speed and distance. Most areas they trot thru an area, they tend to hunt more in a group then the other two. They will kill any fox they encounter whether their hungry or not. I have had gray fox literally rip from my trap, his whole leg and shoulder was there upon my arrival and his body lied 50 yds. Another time a pair ripped out the guts of a trap fox and left him to die.Their ability to learn surpasses the other two. I have seen where 3 yotes worked a brush line for rabbits. One ran the center, while the other two each took a side. Peter never made it home that night. WOW think about it. There is no other species of predator that has been pursed for as long, across the country by the Govt. ,State agencies. From Poisoning, snaring, trapping, chased by hounds man, etc. and look at the weapons we use LoL , night vision and assault weapons and yet the population still spreads. And no I am not making pun towards anyone.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:59 PM

Everywhere I hunt in my area holds both red fox and coyotes. Lots of kills, sightings and trail cam pics to back it up. A couple of the farms I hunt dont allow shooting of foxes, there are tons of them there. Lots of coyotes too.
Old 01-16-2019, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNYhunter View Post
Everywhere I hunt in my area holds both red fox and coyotes. Lots of kills, sightings and trail cam pics to back it up. A couple of the farms I hunt dont allow shooting of foxes, there are tons of them there. Lots of coyotes too.
Question, just curious. Why do you think a farmer in your area would not want to allow fox to be killed?
Down here we hear that at orchards and occasionally I have a farmer's wife (generally talking to the Mrs is the kiss of death for getting permission to hunt) say NO fox hunting because they like seeing them.

Why are farmers telling you NO fox hunting?
Thanks
Old 01-16-2019, 02:35 PM

FoxerNopro is right. I lost a great piece of property for everything except coyotes and groundhogs this year, simply because the farmer's wife walked up in the middle of our conversation . It had a lot of bobcat sign too.

Gotta be thankful I still have it for coyotes and groundhogs I suppose.

Those little foxes are nice to watch mousing around the edges of the field she said. Oh no, not the bobcat.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 01-16-2019, 03:01 PM

I finally got permission to hunt a horse farm that was off limits.....when they decided to put up a chicken coop and other folks nearby told them about their experiences with foxes and chickens.....poof I got a call.
Old 01-17-2019, 12:27 PM

Certainly I accept when told NO hunting allowed but...for me it's the most frustrating experience when I reach a landowner that says no because "My son and family hunt here so I can't allow it". Usually it's been the Mrs that does that and so I simply never talk to her. If she greets me I'll politely ask when Mr Jones/Smith will be in so I can discuss a matter with the land OR just say I'll come back later.

Now on that 1st part as to why it's frustrating to be flippantly told NO hunting by the Mrs because of this or that.

Typically no one, especially the Mrs (and no disrespect to woman meant) understands what fox and coyote hunting is and how it's done. All she thinks about is that her son & grand kids hunt on their land for TWO WEEKS a year. lol. That's it.

She truly misunderstands that Fox and coyote calling would be done maybe 6 times a year, maybe a little more, usually no one would even realize someone was hunting because they're ALL IN BED. And also that her son and grand kids hunting season would NOT be interfered with at all. So it's her property of course it's totally her/their decision BUT it's frustrating to be told NO when you know for certain you are only being told no because she doesn't care to know or understand more about what you are seeking permission for.

lastly IF she truly loves seeing fox play PLEASE hope that her young kids WANT to raise some free range chickens some day soon! haha.